Star San/Hard water

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
dedken

Star San/Hard water

Post by dedken » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 am

Hi all, I emailed Five Star about the cloudiness caused by using Star San in hard water (and the fear it sends running through homebrewers). And they have clarified everything once and for all. Here is the answer I received.

"Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for contacting Five Star!

The “cloudiness” can be a bit confusing, however, when a new solution turns cloudy it is usually because of the hard water and that is why we say to test the ph level. As long as the ph level is 3.5 or below that mixed solution will do exactly what its intended to. [my highlighting/bold/underlining].If the solution was bad the ph level will stay above 5. I have attached a tech sheet for your review.

If you have any other questions please el tem know.

Cheers!

Emily Lovato"

Five Star Chemicals & Supply, Inc.
4915 East 52nd Ave
Commerce City CO 80022
Office (303) 287-0186
Fax (303) 287-0391
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com

And that is all you need to know. No more need to buy mineral water, just use what comes out of your tap. FYI 1ml Star San in 500ml my London water gave a pH in the range 2.8-3.1 so just acidify it a little bit with CRS or phosphoric acid to make sure if you're still worried, or up the ratio. No harm in using more a bit more.

Ken Bazley,
Vice-Chairman, London Amateur Brewers

PS maybe this info should be made sticky?

Underground Joe

Re: Star San/Hard water

Post by Underground Joe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 am

That's great to know. Even more justification now for a digital ph meter. :D

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:54 am

Underground Joe wrote:That's great to know. Even more justification now for a digital ph meter. :D
It's worth adding some acid to tap water if the alkalinity is high and making up a small solution to check the pH. I might try it at the weekend and report back.
Best wishes

Dave

mabrungard
Piss Artist

Post by mabrungard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:04 pm

While I agree that the killing power of the solution should be good as long as the pH is below 3.5, another factor is that the solution is slimy and it coats equipment when hard water is used. For any equipment left in the solution for more than a few minutes will become coated by the deposits. I feel that those deposits can increase the potential for biofilm development if there were ever an infection. When possible, very low hardness water should be used to create your StarSan solution.
Martin B
Indianapolis, Indiana

BJCP National Judge
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at: https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Wat ... =bookmarks

hophit

Post by hophit » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:53 pm

That is useful for me living in London. From now on no need to worry. I might just put an extra 0.3 ml per litre star san in to be sure...

dedken

Post by dedken » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:46 pm

mabrungard wrote:I feel that those deposits can increase the potential for biofilm development if there were ever an infection.
]

I see what you're saying. The answer to this is of course to make sure you clean your equipment properly and there will then be no build up.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Anybody tried the 7.99 ebay pH meters?
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

StickyCola

Post by StickyCola » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:09 pm

I use the collected water from my condenser tumble drier. Stays clear & works a treat!

pads72

Post by pads72 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:25 pm

StickyCola wrote:I use the collected water from my condenser tumble drier. Stays clear & works a treat!
Wouldn't the water from a condensing tumble drier have residual soap powder in it from the dried clothes? I wouldn't drink that water or use it to sanitise my kit!

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:14 pm

pads72 wrote:
StickyCola wrote:I use the collected water from my condenser tumble drier. Stays clear & works a treat!
Wouldn't the water from a condensing tumble drier have residual soap powder in it from the dried clothes? I wouldn't drink that water or use it to sanitise my kit!
Neither would I. I remember following some 'advice' once to use spent tumble dryer water to water the plants. Killed everything it came into contact with.
Best wishes

Dave

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Bug city!!
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

StickyCola

Post by StickyCola » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:17 pm

LeeH wrote:Bug city!!
It's basically distilled water, the same as from a de-humidifier. Any bugs are killed by the steam before condensing. Anyway it aint going to have any bugs once you've put starsan in it :roll: . I've used it for lots of brews for all equipment & all the bottles.
Never had any issues. Ph spot on. Stays crystal clear & seems to kill any bugs. "Bug free city!!". I even use it on all my delicate seedlings(they love it). Used by a lot of brewers on other forums, but I would be interested to know if there are any genuine reasons for not using it. Cheers

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm sure you're right but I just don't like the idea of using water collected from a warm, non sanitised wet/damp kitchen appliance. The water will only be as clean as the device or machine it's produced in. And something that spends most of its time warm and wet is not my idea of a bug free environment.

Just my 10p

GrowlingDogBeer

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:59 pm

I wouldn't use mine either, it smells of fabric conditioner. It works great in the steam generator iron though.

cellone

Post by cellone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:21 pm

What I would like is an answer to achieving a low ph in hard water. Could vinegar be the solution?