Bloody Beer Stone!

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Bloody Beer Stone!

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sun May 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Trying at long last to clean the beer stone out of my kegs that I bought from Morten, but without a huge amount of success.
What I need is...chemicals. Lots of mean nasty chemicals.
Any ideas what and where I can get something acid based to sort this once and for all? My phosphoric barely touched it...
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Re: Bloody Beer Stone!

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sun May 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Reading around, its seems that phosphoric/nitirc blend is the stuff.
Found this. Aside from the chickens, looks like it'll do the job! [-o<
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Wed May 21, 2014 12:20 am

Is it beerstone or is it tannin stains? I bought some NIPAC B from murphys for some stained casks and found that it didnt touch it very well..turned out to be tannin stains, these little blighters need a hot wash with nasty hydrochloric acid to loosen the tannin then a red hot caustic wash..leave the caustic in it overnight and wash again...
I also found a lovely little tip..get some stainless steel chain from a good diy shop..tip that in the cask with the caustic or hydrocloric acid..seal the cask up with an old shive and keystone and kick the cask around the yard for a bit...The chain will scrub the inside of the cask..gets rid of fruitfly lavas too

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Wed May 21, 2014 7:21 am

I'm certain it's beer stone. The phosphoric took some off, but the heavier scaling was unaffected. Got my dual acid so hopefully it'll do the job
Fermenting -

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Thu May 22, 2014 7:36 pm

How do we prevent its build up in the first place? My plastic fermenter looks like this as I sit and scratch away at it tonight.Image
Must be a good six months since I scratched it off last but with thoughts turning now to stainless how do we stop it adhering in the first place. Whats the experience out there?

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Mon May 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Seems this stuff, used correctly, works a treat in kegs!
I experimented with various concentrations, and the best results seemed to be when I used around 400ml in a full keg of hot water, soaked for just over two hours. Followed this with a hot soak in Wizz Oxi (no rinsing in between), took the vast majority of it off with no hassle, and most of what was left came off easily with a nylon scrubber. Considering the keg had a thick coating over everything, I'm impressed!
Fermenting -

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon May 26, 2014 6:19 pm

When it takes hold on plastic then it's new fermenter time IMO. Scratching/scrubbing it off will damage the plastic and create more potential hidey holes for bacteria.
Dan!

irv
Steady Drinker

Post by irv » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:19 pm

I know i am a bit late replying, but it may help someone in the future. i was about to go down the path of buying phosphoric acid, but found a litre of sarsons vinegar in the cupboard. letting this soak and slosh around took the beerstone off.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:58 am

Beer line cleaner should shift its designed for that purpose. Just in beer lines not buckets.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:06 am

That was going to be my initial go-to, but after a little browsing I opted for acid. If you browse the article I posted it explains why beer line cleaner is ineffective. Mine would've had regualr doses of beer line cleaner I expect, as they came from a brewery. They were a horror, wish I'd done a before and after photo now.
Fermenting -

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:13 pm

CRS will get rid of beer stone - just a bit on a piece of sponge. Wear gloves.

I don't think beer line cleaner will do the job - it requires an acid.