Potential cluster f#k#

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Fido97

Potential cluster f#k#

Post by Fido97 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:11 am

I accidently pumped about roughly 10 litres of pericetic solution into my mash tun (difficult to know how much as it was going several directions at once with a tap left open into the mt. Was brewing 2,000 litres. I am resigned to pour it down the drain...but the wort tastes fine and the yeast is pitched. Anyone any experience of this - is the quantity negligible in the scheme of things?

Oakey22

Re: Potential cluster f#k#

Post by Oakey22 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:57 pm

What concentration was it at?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Oakey22

Post by Oakey22 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:57 pm

And did you check the ph of the wort?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Now for the really dumb question what the f**k is pericetic solution? I've googled it without success.

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:17 am

scotsloon wrote:Now for the really dumb question what the f**k is pericetic solution? I've googled it without success.
Peracetic is an acid, used to sanitise equipment.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:30 am

Peracetic is effective against yeast so that's a worry but depending on the strength of it it may be too diluted to worry about it. Does it degrade upon heating, don't know? Got to be worth seeing it through, if you dump it now you'll never know, not much extra cost involved apart from hops.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:34 am

I'm not an organic chemist - I'm just repeating my rudimentary understanding of the chemistry behind Peracetic acid here:

Peracetic acid works by breaking down in water to acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide, and hydrogen peroxide is a very powerful oxidiser when in an acidic solution - more powerful than chlorine bleach. When it's done reacting it breaks down to just water, oxygen, carbon dioxide and ethanol, thus its popularity in the food industry.

But I have no idea how that works if you dump 10 litres into your mash. I'd say it'll probably be safe and neutralised, but at the least you've possibly dumped 10 litres of vinegar into your mash...
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.