Deep clean

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Deep clean

Post by robbarwell » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:21 am

Over the last few brews I've had a boiled cabbage taste to a few brews. This has knocked by brewing mojo sideways somewhat.
Someone has suggested that I've got an infection somewhere or it could be DMS.
So deep clean time. I've got a gap on Tuesday for a deep clean of everything.
What do you recommend I use. (Hot thin bleach). PBW or any other suggestions?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Deep clean

Post by Kev888 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:01 pm

It could be DMS arising from the brewing process, but unless you have changed anything about your process, equipment or ingredients it would seem strange for it to suddenly start happening. It can instead be caused by bacteria, and that is often said to be more cabbage-like than corn-like, so unless you know of another reason that may perhaps be more likely. Post-boil equipment (from the boiler tap onwards) and yeast-making equipment etc. could contribute (as could infected yeast splits etc).

Disinfectants may be less effective if there is any organic matter to penetrate, and it can become re-infected more easily too. So if there is any doubt about the cleanliness of things (especially if hidden from view) then a thorough physical clean with PBW, caustic or similar makes sense. Disassemble anything that can be disassembled, but don't soak beyond recommended durations, as some cleaners will allow scale to start forming on equipment.

Then follow this up on all post-boil stuff with a strong disinfectant or where possible a sterilization stage. For things that can stand the heat, autoclaving/pressure-cooking, baking in the oven, or even steaming are good - especially for things like metal tap parts and plate chillers which may have hidden crannies. Where chemicals alone need to be used then I'd choose Peracetic Acid, but its not nice stuff and needs to be handled properly; failing that I'd go for a strong bleach or iodophor - or possibly both (not at the same time!). Though check compatibility and contact times for whatever materials you're cleaning.
Kev

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks...
I'll follow this. I've managed to get some caustic from a brewery mate and plan to do a run through with this and follow it with boiling water.
When it's brewday..Day after I'll run through with a thin bleach solution and follow it again with boiling water

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm

I think the deep clean may have sorted the problem. I ran a hose pipe to the outlet and turned the tap on. the amount of old crud that came out of the hop filter was astonishing.
Ive done a deep deep strong bleach run through. basically ran a brew with a strong bleach through pumps, fermenter, boiler HLT the lot. then chased it through with boiling water