Sodium Percarbonate

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
DaveGillespie

Sodium Percarbonate

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Is anyone here using straight Sodium Percarbonate in preference to PBW? IF so, where are you getting yours and what sort of dilution rates are you using?

AnthonyUK

Re: Sodium Percarbonate

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 pm

DaveGillespie wrote:Is anyone here using straight Sodium Percarbonate in preference to PBW? IF so, where are you getting yours and what sort of dilution rates are you using?
It's a cleaner so use just enough to get your equipment clean. I've used Wilcos own brand Oxi cleaner at 1 scoop for around 10-15l in cornies and FVs.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:54 pm

PBW does contain sodium percarbonate, and buying this in bulk can be cheaper. Some of the oxi cleaners also contain it, though usually a lot less so they can actually work out poorer value.

Percarbonate will clean quite well by itself, especially whilst bubbling. However PBW is more sophisticated - it also includes sodium metasilicate, and I believe things to help reduce deposits of scale building up on equipment in hard water areas during longer soaks. Personally I buy both percarbonate and metasilicate and mix them at the rate of 2x percarbonate to 1x metasilicate, if long soaks are needed I may also add a little calgon powder.

I'm not saying this is as good as PBW but it is very effective and was much cheaper at the time. Though I bought 25kg sacks years ago and haven't run out yet so am not current on what are good prices or retailers. EDIT: it is important to store these things very dry if you want decent shelf life out of them; moisture in the air can cause them to set like bricks, even if they're coated granuals.
Kev

RobP

Post by RobP » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 pm

We have a septic tank so I use percarbonate on the basis it's less likely to kill off all the bacteria if I let it stand a day before disposal. I just follow the instructions. 5g/l depending on how soiled.