Sterilizer

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
pburg

Sterilizer

Post by pburg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:56 am

Hi all, Could anyone tell me the name of the sterilizing solution that is used by hospitals to sterilize wounds. It is a brown coloured liquid that has to be diluted, I used it some years ago it sterilzers instantly so no need to leave things soaking.

I can not for the life of me remember the name of it, it is brilliant stuff. Thanks for any replies. :)

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Sterilizer

Post by keith1664 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:16 am

Iodophor?
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:36 am

or the brand Videne which is an iodophor afaik
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 am

Videne Antiseptic Solution.

Less than a tenner online for 500ml.

It is non rinse at 12.5 ppm

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

pburg

Post by pburg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks Kieth, you had me scratching my head there for a while i have never heard of Iodophor before, but when i checked it online it sounded like the stuff i could not remember.

Thanks Fil, thats the name i was aware of, i used it for quite a wile some years back and then stopped brewing for a few years due to health problems, it worked out great for me back then.

Thanks Mashman, i will be on to that right away.

I have actually just bought some ivitro from Amazon i read the instructions and warnings re pets and such after i bought it, i would not have bought it if i'd known. I'll use it upthough, but i will then move back to Iodophor/Vidine after that. I will buy the Vidine now while its at that price and save it since prices are rising so quickly.

Thanks again to you all. :D

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:34 am

pburg wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:56 am
Hi all, Could anyone tell me the name of the sterilizing solution that is used by hospitals to sterilize wounds. It is a brown coloured liquid that has to be diluted, I used it some years ago it sterilzers instantly so no need to leave things soaking.

I can not for the life of me remember the name of it, it is brilliant stuff. Thanks for any replies. :)
It is brilliant stuff and my primary sanitiser on a brew day, but once it is mixed with water (about 1.5ml per litre of water), it does need 2 mins contact time to effectively sanitise. The equipment should also be left to drip off so that it is relatively dry before using it, minimising the amount of iodophor that ends up in your beer.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.