My Heath Robinson Sankey keg cleaner...

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Digby
Piss Artist

My Heath Robinson Sankey keg cleaner...

Post by Digby » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi folks,

I am sure this type of approach is very old news, but I had a nice session cleaning 5 of my Sankey kegs today and thought it worth sharing a couple of photos.

My kit consists of a bucket and water butt pump I have around the place paired with a cheap CIP ball from ebay. Finished off with 2 jaunty pieces of wood for the keg to rest on.

Works remarkably well with 6 to 8 litres of hot PBW solution (then clean water to rinse), and although it looks naff it does the job fine.

Oh yes, and that is my garden bar in the background where I shall be spending NYE having a few brews. :)

Regards,

MattImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: My Heath Robinson Sankey keg cleaner...

Post by alexlark » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Looks good! Nice KISS approach.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks! Every time I think about getting something more aesthetically pleasing, I spend the money on ingredients and more beer!

Matt

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:22 pm

Nicely done and as said KISS is the best way =D>
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:20 am

I bought one of those spinning spray balls and was disappointed with it. I have now ordered a fixed head one. I hope that performs better.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:01 am

IPA wrote:I bought one of those spinning spray balls and was disappointed with it. I have now ordered a fixed head one. I hope that performs better.
I have used it to do 20+ keg washes and it has performed really well. Kegs are sparkling afterward. It does require a decent pressure to make it work well, but does not seem much different to the SS Brewtech one for the BME Chronical.

I am sure the fixed one will work really well as you are using all the oomph to actually spray rather than rotate. Will be interested in your comparative findings!

Matt

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:57 pm

The rotating spray heads seen to vary quite significantly in the pressure stated to function properly - how true this is in practice I don't know but I deliberately didn't buy one because of its required minimum rating.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 am

f00b4r wrote:The rotating spray heads seen to vary quite significantly in the pressure stated to function properly - how true this is in practice I don't know but I deliberately didn't buy one because of its required minimum rating.
I guess it may partially be down to expectation. My (possibly incorrect) view is that the spray ball does not need to blast the dirt like a power washer, but simply wet everything continually with PBW or equivalent as an alternative to soaking. It also seems to dislodge any yeast etc.

This seems to have worked well, even with an inherited keg that had not been cleaned for a couple of years.

Matt