Starsan Discontinued ?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Starsan Discontinued ?

Post by Kev888 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:03 pm

One thing for starsan is that it never claimed to be a steriliser (as some products do, which aren't). Nor does it need to be for most homebrew uses, it is just the relatively poor performance on wild yeast that is unfortunate and seems now to be fairly well established. Which doesn't make it useless, just limits the scope of its application.

Though for less than sterilisation, in this country we generally prefer to 'disinfect'; as was mentioned by someone better than I, here 'sanitation' is historically related to things like toilets and used tampons. :)
Kev

LeeH
Under the Table

Starsan Discontinued ?

Post by LeeH » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:07 pm

As Kev states, we just generally need to kill off beer spoiling nasties, with star san does. Sterilising is another level up.

I presume it isn’t completely ineffective against wild yeast?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:46 pm

LeeH wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:07 pm
Perhaps not completely, but I wouldn't trust to it at all in this respect. For me it is more of a final flourish than the main line of defence.
Kev

WillH10
Sober

Post by WillH10 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:13 pm

In one hand, that's sad news, couse beer was really good, but in enother hand, we have a lot of other brewers! I even bought a beverage refrigerator a few month ago - i have a lot of beer) It looks small (, link removed), but for three-four friends evening it's good.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Kev888 wrote:
LeeH wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:07 pm
Perhaps not completely, but I wouldn't trust to it at all in this respect. For me it is more of a final flourish than the main line of defence.
I listen to a pod cast a few weeks back, a five star employee stated that it is effective against wild yeasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Yes.. though not the most independent source of information, really. I'm afraid that ever since trying that pH5.2 stuff, which simply didn't work, my faith in taking their claims at face value has not been the very highest.

In this case it is harder for me to verify either way. All I can say from first hand is that it certainly hasn't affected (beer) yeast like bleach or peracetic acid have, which may or may not mean much. Though some pretty informed experts in the homebrew world have been extremely sceptical of it, to put things politely, so all in all I'd need something more conclusive and independent to be convinced otherwise. Possibly they can, and it would be good if so since it has some fine attributes otherwise.

That said though, its absence has led me to realise how much I don't miss lugging special water up to the flat and storing it; robs the stuff of a fair bit of its convenience. All in all, I perhaps won't be returning to it. Though I notice that brouwland has it in stock now (I've not looked in the UK), so it would presumably be available if wished.
Kev

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:50 pm

WillH10 ive removed the link as it has no relevance to the original topic .
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation