Using a pump to clean cornelius kegs and should I use Starsan?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Using a pump to clean cornelius kegs and should I use Starsan?

Post by Wozboy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:01 am

I am interested in setting up a system to clean my kegs by flushing through with a submersible pump and I wondered if anybody had set this up and could offer advice on what I need to get started? I'm hoping to make the whole process quicker and easier and reduce the need to strip down the kegs everytime I want to use them. My kegs have been left for literally a few years as well so I need to clean them thoroughly before using again.

In addition to this I'm considering using Starsan but I think that might be problematic with stainless steel as it's an acid? Any thoughts I'D be grateful for advice, I'm using VWP cleaner and sanitiser and never had any problems is Starsan worth using or should I just stick with VWP?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Using a pump to clean cornelius kegs and should I use Starsan?

Post by f00b4r » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 am

I’ve got a Marks keg washer and really like it. Is really easy to setup and use and lets you clean/sanitise your tubing too.
It’s quite possible to make something similar and probably cheaper based on a pump and fermentation bucket but I would say the disadvantages are the time involved putting it together and it is usually messier (I can use the Marks keg washer on the side in the kitchen but most home made ones seems to be more suites to using outside). However the bucket based versions have the advantage that you can use multiple buckets (cleaner in one, clean water in another and then sanitiser in another), so you can cycle through the kegs quicker; for me it’s not a dealbreaker as it’s mostly hands off time anyway.
I am pretty sure there are threads on here detailing a couple of home made builds if you want to see what’s involved.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:16 am

See also this thread.
Maybe some with their home made versions can weigh in with their experience.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 am

Wozboy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:01 am
… In addition to this I'm considering using Starsan but I think that might be problematic with stainless steel as it's an acid? Any thoughts I'D be grateful for advice, I'm using VWP cleaner and sanitiser and never had any problems is Starsan worth using or should I just stick with VWP?
I don't know why people get the idea that Starsan is a cleaner. It is NOT. It's a contact killer, and unless the surface is squeaky clean bugs will avoid that contact (even under microscopic coatings of grime).

You'll be hard pushed to get your hands on Starsan these days, but there are alternatives.

Stick with VWP as a cleaner (or something like) but don't leave in contact with SS too long or it can damage it (and too long on plastic or silicon will taint it). Use Starsan or alternative in the final rinse just before you use the vessel. The acid in these rinses never get long enough (or concentrated enough) contact to do damage to the SS.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:30 pm

This stuff you don’t need to worry about with stainless steel, and is intended as a CIP cleaner: https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... eaner-1kg/
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 am

I use a Marks keg washer and an improvised bucket with a cheap water pump. The Marks keg washer cost a lot more, about £100, but the platform is well designed to accommodate kegs and carboys. For bigger fermenting vessels I prefer using a 15L bucket and a submersible pump with 1/2" stainless tubing threaded either end. A 1/2" female to 12mm barb creates a nice powerful jet. A spray ball works on both. Both highly effective and worth the investment. Definitely removes the mundane chore of cleaning crud. The money saved on using less PBW and time means even the Marks keg washer has paid for itself. No excuses for not looking forward to cleaning days :^o

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 am

What pump have you used on your home made kit? I'm just interested in power and flow rate, i think anyway, I just want to make sure I get something up to the job and hopefully not breaking the bank!