Draining Wort Chiller

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Draining Wort Chiller

Post by MashBag » Thu May 06, 2021 7:13 am

Jocky wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm

I have to disagree on the copper vs steel chiller. If you leave any wort on the copper it will grow mould on it.
Agreed I was referring to the cooling water on the inside that is not draining.

All ICs need cleaning after use.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun May 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Bibinimis wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 pm
I have recently knocked up a wort chiller with microbore copper tube etc.and would prefer to be able to completely drain it after use. I am convinced water remains in the spiral yet do not have any air tools that might shift it. This might not be crucial but it goes against the grain😄with me to leave it so wonder if anyone has any suggestions please.
Thinking about this, yes you do--sort of. Turn the chiller upside down and blow into it really hard! Seems to shift a lot of water, having just tried it on mine.

Guy

Bibinimis
Steady Drinker

Post by Bibinimis » Sun May 09, 2021 4:23 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:28 pm
Bibinimis wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 pm
I have recently knocked up a wort chiller with microbore copper tube etc.and would prefer to be able to completely drain it after use. I am convinced water remains in the spiral yet do not have any air tools that might shift it. This might not be crucial but it goes against the grain😄with me to leave it so wonder if anyone has any suggestions please.
Thinking about this, yes you do--sort of. Turn the chiller upside down and blow into it really hard! Seems to shift a lot of water, having just tried it on mine.

Guy
Thanks I've tried that but the air from my exhalation escapes immediately through the plastic fitting that engages with the tap. However I will try taking the fitting off and sticking the hose in my mouth.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon May 10, 2021 8:05 am

IME the simple single coils drain easily. Blowing helps.
Double coils seem to retain much more.