Wheeler's Beer Engine

If you use Beersmith, Promash, Beer Engine, or whatever, this is the place to discuss pros, cons, tips and tricks
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by Jim » Sat May 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Welcome jimbob88. :)

You should have a private message from me.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 pm

Initial thoughts: it needs a lot more work.

1. I don't seem to be able to change the defaults, even after pressing 'save all as defaults'.
2. In defaults editor what does 'boil volume scale' mean?
3. In defaults editor there is no provision for wort losses.
4. There is a yeast editor but no provision for adding yeast to a recipe.

I got fed up at this point.

I appreciate this is a work in progress and look forward to seeing it working properly. I'm assuming I have the most up-to-date issue - exe.win-amd64-3.6
Best wishes

Dave

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon May 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Just for information, a copy of the programme for Windows is available for download from the JBK server here (first option in the list):-

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/extras.htm

Thanks to Jimbob88 for allowing us to host it. :)

DaveS - once you have it running it will check for updates each time you run it, so you will always have the latest version.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

jimbob88
Sober

Post by jimbob88 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:06 pm

Dave S wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 pm
Initial thoughts: it needs a lot more work.

1. I don't seem to be able to change the defaults, even after pressing 'save all as defaults'.
2. In defaults editor what does 'boil volume scale' mean?
4. There is a yeast editor but no provision for adding yeast to a recipe.

I got fed up at this point.

I appreciate this is a work in progress and look forward to seeing it working properly. I'm assuming I have the most up-to-date issue - exe.win-amd64-3.6
I'll tackle each but if this one at a time - also I thought it should be mentioned a few sections of Wheeler's Wort Works are not obvious to know the location of.

1) You need to press the done button before saving - this will be fixed soon but at the moment allows a user to save after making a change they realized is a mistake.

2) Boil Volume Scale is the change in Boil Volume when you input a change in the volume entry. By default is 110%, so if I were to input 10 into the volume area, it would put 11 into the boil volume section (litres)

3) Yeah the program is still work-in-progress and I can implement it, I just don't use it personally so never thought about it - I am not sure how to implement it at this point in time, anybody got any ideas/formulas?

4) Yeasts are added via the Experimental Attenuation Tab where you can add Water Chemistry Additions and Yeasts. You may ask, why there?, and to be honest the only reason is due to the fact I wished to keep to the ideology of Graham Wheeler's Beer Engine for the Engine Room and keep it with as little clutter as possible.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Tue May 07, 2019 10:06 am

Jim wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:14 pm
Just for information, a copy of the programme for Windows is available for download from the JBK server here (first option in the list):-

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/extras.htm

Thanks to Jimbob88 for allowing us to host it. :)

DaveS - once you have it running it will check for updates each time you run it, so you will always have the latest version.
Yes, the one I have running appears to be the same version, Jim, thanks.
Best wishes

Dave

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Tue May 07, 2019 10:07 am

thanks, jimbob, look forward to seeing it develop, and well done for taking it on.
Best wishes

Dave

jimbob88
Sober

Post by jimbob88 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 pm

jimbob88 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:26 pm
Hi everybody, I am the creator of Wheeler's Wort Works and as well as the current version have been developing a web-based edition :D, and I was thinking of choosing how to host it but to know if it is worth investing in hosting it I have created a poll, I would be thankful if you replied so I can know whether or not to start hosting it!
The Poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/embed_1/17933765
A sneak peek of the online edition: http://i.imgur.com/23GwCTL.png

Development is slowly but steadily coming along!

Here is a preview of the current version: http://i.imgur.com/NpdfATy.png

At this moment in time I plan to release it without a Hop/Grist/Yeast Editor and maybe add these features later on down the road. :D

Hope you are all doing well,
Jim

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:41 pm

jimbob88 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:06 pm
Dave S wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 pm
3) Yeah the program is still work-in-progress and I can implement it, I just don't use it personally so never thought about it - I am not sure how to implement it at this point in time, anybody got any ideas/formulas?
Thanks Jim, it does look really good, continuing the beer engine and keeping it up to date.

I work on a few reasons for losses, which is in an ever growing brewing spreadsheet!
  1. Boil losses - I've assumed 5.3kg from a 90 minute boil using a 2.2kw element (which is a bit toppy as it assumes this all goes into vaporising the water)
  2. Hops - I assume that they soak up, or otherwise stop, 15ml per gram of hops (not sure where that came from)
  3. Boiler dead space - I measured 1.5 litres when I set up initially
  4. I also assume 1.5 litres is lost in the mash tun and that the grain soaks up an equivalent weight of water
Assuming by wort losses we are talking after the mash tun, then I can work out how much wort should go into the boiler (ignoring the mash tun losses, deadspace and grain)

I work from what I want to have at the end and then add all of the wort losses to get to my amount of wort into the boiler, so for example I want 20 litres:
  1. Lose 1.5l from boiler deadspace
  2. Lose c2 litres for 134g of hops
  3. 5 litres to the boil
  4. So I need to start with 28.5 litres of wort
I then add the mash tun losses to get to my initial liquor - so in the case above that would be a further 1.5l plus the grain bill.

It keeps me feel in control, even when I am not ;-)
Planning: Weissbeer
Fermenting: Exmoor autumn glory (BYOBRA)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): Er, things are a bit light at the moment!

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk