Wheeler's Beer Engine

If you use Beersmith, Promash, Beer Engine, or whatever, this is the place to discuss pros, cons, tips and tricks
Post Reply
WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010
Posts: 7874
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:06 pm
Location: Keighley, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:12 pm

I never use or ever have used the
close.gif
close.gif (203 Bytes) Viewed 2988 times
button ;)

User avatar
edit1now
Under the Table
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: North-west London

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by edit1now » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:06 pm

I can't save new malts in the Grain Editor in v1.09 - should I be able to, or have I missed an update? I put in Carafa Special III, EBC1300, clicked Done, clicked Add To Database, but it was only there while I had BE open. Once I saved my recipe and quit, the next time the Carafa wan't there anymore...

Graham

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by Graham » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:56 pm

edit1now wrote:I can't save new malts in the Grain Editor in v1.09 - should I be able to, or have I missed an update? I put in Carafa Special III, EBC1300, clicked Done, clicked Add To Database, but it was only there while I had BE open. Once I saved my recipe and quit, the next time the Carafa wan't there anymore...
It's the first time I have heard of a problem of this type with 1.09, and it has been around since about April this year. Have you tried it more than once? It might be a permissions issue, of course, but apart from that I am stumped.

User avatar
edit1now
Under the Table
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: North-west London

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by edit1now » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Dunno - my normal login account on XP is a member of Administrators...

Most useful app otherwise - Thanks Graham =D> =D> =D> =D>

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table
Posts: 1788
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:52 pm
Location: Wombwell (South Yorkshire)

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Any updates in the pipeline??
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2019......... 416
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

Graham

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by Graham » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 pm

BarnsleyBrewer wrote:Any updates in the pipeline??
Yes, there are updates on the horizon (if you are very tall).

User avatar
gti1x
Piss Artist
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:20 pm
Location: Garelochhead, Scotland

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by gti1x » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 pm

Graham wrote:Yes, there are updates on the horizon (if you are very tall).
So the vertically challenged of us have to wait even longer - down with heightist discrimination :wink:

Very useful app (another Linux user).

GTI
Drinking: Kriek (cherry beer); prohibition coconut rum; Davey's Best Bitter 2 (AG); TC; Mead; Gorse Wine; Darwin's summer ale; Apple wine
Conditioning: Grape wine 2009 & 2010; Pomegranate and cherry wine
Brewing: Vinojay (orange wine); Vino de tavola - rosso
Planning: Newton's Porter
Gone but not forgotten: Mead; Framboos (Kit); Gorse wine;

mentaldental

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by mentaldental » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Graham,

I have been posting a few Beer Engine files on the North Hants Brewers web site (under construction!). When I download the recipes to test the functionality opening them from within Beer Engine works fine but double clicking the files justs opens up Beer Engine with a blank recipe.

I have linked *.berf files to Beer Engine. I am using Windows 7.

Is this an issue with Beer Engine or an issue with my lack of knowledge, or just good old Windows being annoying?

http://www.northhantsbrewers.org.uk/recipes.php

Graham

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by Graham » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:02 am

mentaldental wrote:Graham,
I have been posting a few Beer Engine files on the North Hants Brewers web site (under construction!). When I download the recipes to test the functionality opening them from within Beer Engine works fine but double clicking the files justs opens up Beer Engine with a blank recipe.

I have linked *.berf files to Beer Engine. I am using Windows 7.

Is this an issue with Beer Engine or an issue with my lack of knowledge, or just good old Windows being annoying?

http://www.northhantsbrewers.org.uk/recipes.php
No, it doesn't do that at the moment, basically because I didn't want to mess with the registry during installation. It did not occur to me that someone might manually associate the files.

It will do it in the next version because I have just spent part of the afternoon adding it in to my development copy.

mentaldental

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by mentaldental » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 am

Graham wrote: It will do it in the next version because I have just spent part of the afternoon adding it in to my development copy.
Blimey, that's quick service. Thanks Graham.

dedken

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by dedken » Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi Graham,

Nice program (not to mention the book!) by the way. I was wondering, however, whether there is any intention to do an update with some of the new malts that have become available?? Or is it down to us to add them??

Cheers

Graham

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by Graham » Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 pm

dedken wrote:Hi Graham,

Nice program (not to mention the book!) by the way. I was wondering, however, whether there is any intention to do an update with some of the new malts that have become available?? Or is it down to us to add them??
Cheers
I expect a few of the more popular ones could be added to the next version, but if there are too many it will be a bugger to find the one you are looking for.

bigdave

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by bigdave » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 pm

This may have been asked before, but is there a beer engine for Mac?

boingy

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by boingy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:34 pm

I don't think there's a version of Beer Engine but you there is BeerAlchemy for mac, produced by one of our own. It's not free though...

User avatar
Trefoyl
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2331
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Wheeler's Beer Engine

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Two luminaries that grace JBK! GW's book (I am using an older edition), paired BeerAlchemy for fine tuning to be sure I hit the proper numbers, and I can be sure my beers will be completely amazing!
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Post Reply