Wheeler's Wort Works - Grist Editor

If you use Beersmith, Promash, Beer Engine, or whatever, this is the place to discuss pros, cons, tips and tricks
GeoffN
Sober

Wheeler's Wort Works - Grist Editor

Post by GeoffN » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:59 pm

I've been brewing for >40 years but I'm fairly new to brewing software, so please excuse me for asking what might be a dumb question. . . . . . I have been brewing some Belgian beers recently, and wanted to add some additional grains to the Grist Editor. Most of the grain properties are clear and easily available, i.e. colour, extract and moisture. However, I'm a bit puzzled about the "% Fermentability". I understand the concept of fermentability of different grains and adjuncts, but I cannot understand the values that are already in the standard database. The figures look strange to me, i.e. anything from 0% up to 200%. Can anybody explain to me where these figures come from, and how they influence the predicted final gravity? I tried entering a few random figures for some fictitious grains just to see what would happen, but I could still not understand what is happening in the calculation. Any guidance would be gratefully received :D