Reviews of Member's Homebrew

Use this forum to arrange and post reviews of other members' brews.
mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:56 pm

I'll be cracking open J_P's beer tonight hopefully, looking forward to it. I'm glad the metallic flavour that I mentioned in another thread didn't carry through - I think I isolated it to my CO2 source. Unless you're all just being polite :=P

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:27 pm

Unless you're all just being polite
As if :lol:
I'm glad the metallic flavour that I mentioned in another thread didn't carry through
Strange you should say that, as I had a metallic taste in my beer but I put that down to my plate chiller and using iodophor with it :roll:
I certainly didn't detect it in your Robust Porter. What do you think was the issue with the C02?[/quote]

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Just finished off this, J_P's Glasshouse Porter ... (Sorry about my lousy photo taking skills)

I'm pleased to report this is another winner. JP's beer appeared to have lost a little carbonation in transport and subsequently had the kind of carbonation and head you get from beers poured straight from the cask. Poured a dark brown with reddish highlights very similar in colour to Vossy's stout. The aroma was of bourbon biscuits and chocolate cake, maybe a little coffee too. Great flavours especially as the beer warmed up. Mostly bisuity, chocolate, slightly bready and earthy flavours. Very subtle and nicely balanced together. You could definately taste some fuggles which complimented the malt flavours very well. The mouthfeel was on the medium to dry side and it finished with a nice hoppy aftertaste. An excellent quaffing beer that hides its strength; I could easily drink a great deal of this. Again, absolutely no off-flavours or rough edges.

Two really excellent beers there, thanks guys. No pressure Wez :D I've learned a lot by tasting these and looking at your recipes, well worth the money.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:14 pm

What do you think was the issue with the C02?
Daab suggested it might be rust on the inside of my cylinder due to liquid being forced in. I only seem to get the flavour when I blast some CO2 into the keg.

Wez

Post by Wez » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:17 pm

No Pressure! :shock: Great review Mysterio, right i'm going to have to give up on my no ale in the week rule already and crack JP's brew open.

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:31 pm

right i'm going to have to give up on my no ale in the week rule already and crack JP's brew open.
Good man :lol:

Wez

Post by Wez » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:44 pm

J_P's Glasshouse Porter

J_P =D> what a great Beer.

It travelled very well, to say that it was bottled from Keg it kept it's life extremely well.

A lovely coloured beer deep brown/red.

Great tightly beaded head which stayed to the end, I got lots of strong coffee and dark chocolate flavour a great big dry/malty aftertaste which lingers. Some hop aroma but not overdone, just about right for this beer I would say. Bitterness was perfect too. I'd describe this as a BIG beer.

I'd pay good money for this J_P and will be brewing it myself - well done that man.

Aren't we becoming quite the amateur beer reviewers :wink:

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:47 pm

That's a lovely looking head on that pint...nice J_P 8)

J_P

Post by J_P » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Many thanks for the kind words folks, it's certainly a relief to find out you like it.

If I brewed it again I'd possibly add some carapils or oats to the recipe to give it a little more body but other than that I like it.

The head is courtesy of a liberal dose of torrified wheat, if you brew this and keg it in a corni the head seems to stick around for ages and stands in peaks like a meringue :lol:

It's a result for someone who's been grain brewing only five months 8)

J_P

Post by J_P » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:15 pm

Tonight I am sampling Vossys Oatmeal Stout

This is a lovely dark looking beer with a deep red hue to it. The beer itself has all the deep roasty chocolate aromas you'd expect in a stout but there is also something else that I can't quite put my finger on it could be the oats I'm not sure. Did you toast them? in the mouth it feels good and dry with very soft bubbles, it sounds odd but they feel somehow softer than the Glasshouse Porter. The deep roast flavours give way to a cracking dry finish with no discernible hop flavours but with malt this big who needs hops!

In conclusion the V1 brewery has turned out a really good, dare I say, "session stout" I'd be happy to drink this all night long 8) Shiny Herms Beer = Good Beer :lol:

Edit: For anyone who doesn't understand the term "session stout" this is a recipe you need to brew, failing that you need to avail yourself of a pint of "Hamsterley 'Old Rocker' Dark" stout. Both beers are great because they're not too heavy or chewy and wont lay like lead on your stomach so you can drink more than 2 pints and not need to go home :lol: This beer may well be getting an outing in the spring. Any chance of the recipe Vossy?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:07 am

Try a search for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout on the forum. The recipe is from Clone Brews if I remember correctly.

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi J_P,

Glad you liked the stout 8)
It is dangerously sessionable...so much so I've run out :cry: I might be making more today or tomorrow..fingers crossed.
Yes, I toasted the oats in the oven until they were a nice golden brown.

recipe

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:38 pm

J_P's Glasshouse Porter

I enjoyed my bottle of J_P's Glasshouse Porter on Sunday and here are the results of the V1 jury :lol:

When I first opened the bottle I was greeted by the hiss of escaping C02, the bottle had travelled well. I poured the Porter into a wide tankard glass and a nice, tightly beaded tan head formed on the ale, much like Wez's photo above. The colour was a dark brown black, though when held to the light it became more a chesnut brown.
The initial aroma was of strong coffee and roasted malt with little/ no hops. The drink was very smooth almost velvety. Again the roasted malts played a heavy part of the taste, as did some biscuit.
The finish was nice and bitter but it did not linger too long.
I did detect what I can only describe as a marzipan taste to the finish which was very subtle.
It wasn't at all a heavy pint but you soon knew it was potent.
All in all a very nice drink...well done J_P :wink:

Calum

Post by Calum » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 pm

Hope I am not gate crashing but I have really enjoyed this thread and wondered if any of the other readers want to try this beer swapping thing?

I have a nice bottle conditioned ale that is the colour of an 80/-, around 5.4% abv but is using some american hops (galena for bittering and amerillo and simcoe for aroma).

I have also just spent a couple of hours bottling a porter which is around 4.3 abv that has some roasted wheat in the mix (new one for me). This one will need a few weeks in the bottle to let is mature.

Not sure if that interests anyone but if it does either post or pm me.

Wez

Post by Wez » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:13 am

Callum - not gatecrashing at all! :D

The more the merrier :lol:

I have a some Big Kenny Scottish Ale that I can send you (only bottled this week though so you'll have to look after it for a while)

PM me if you want one and we'll do a swap :D