Reviews of Member's Homebrew

Use this forum to arrange and post reviews of other members' brews.
Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:56 pm

Oh, and apologies about the curtains and if they have put anyone off their beer tonight.
:lol: :lol:

Calum

Post by Calum » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:11 pm

Vossy's Oatmeal Stout

This was great beer. As soon as I poured it I was getting that nice sweet coffee bean aroma. I also thought I could detect a malt whisky smell (perhaps like a Speyside that has spent its time a Bourbon Hogshead). If you are ever up then pop in and I'll pour you a glass of what I mean :oops:

The appearance, as you can see, was fantastic. It was a deep red and on lifting it up to the light there was definately no haze (you must have sent me a faulty one Vos :lol: ). The head was magnificent, fairly tight but after the initial youthfulness died back but it kept life all the way down.

On tasting, the initial thing I noticed was the nuttiness of the dark grains that gave way to a lushious sweet malt and dark fruit. The oats, although not too pronounced, gave a creaminess that contributed to a lovely mouthfeel. There was a relatively high carbonation but this helped leave the palate fresh after visit.

Overall this was a lovely beer. The balance of the dark grains, sweet malt,creamy velvet mouthfeel and a quenching bitterness certainly holds this up as a beer I would return to again and again. I would love to taste this straight from the cask as I think that would be treat =D>

J_P

Post by J_P » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:04 pm

Calum's Old Grumpy

Firstly I'd like to say sorry for the lack of any pictures of Calum's beer this is due to two things
1) In my rush to get this into my glass I stirred up some of the yeast #-o so couldn't do it justice with the camera
2) It was gone before I could get to the camera anyway :lol:

The pint came out of the bottle a lovely dark toffee brown and had a lovely tight head that is still stuck to the side of my glass, as a northerner this is important to me not least because it proves I washed the glass properly :lol: It has a glorious sharp bitter hoppiness that I wouldn't normally have expected from a beer this dark this is a major plus point in my book. I recognised the hops from pints sampled in my local but I couldn't tell you what they were without looking at the recipe. I wish I could tell you more but alas I was too busy enjoying the pint to take notes on it :lol:

This pint has given me food for thought as I've primarily associated hoppiness like this with a light beer, Calum has conclusively proved my assumptions wrong which only goes to show I have a lot to learn - I do hope the H&G have some Amarillo hops in. Cheers Calum 8)

P.S. Quick question - Calum / Vossy did you use any sort of pH5.2 stabilser at all?

Edit: I have a theory that I can taste what I think is 5.2 stabiliser, If my theory is correct then I reckon Wez used 5.2 too and I'm guessing that Mysterio didn't although it was a dark beer so I could be wrong. The reason I mention it is that I can taste a very subtle soft taste in the back of my nose when I've swallowed the mouthful that I can't taste in my own beers.
Last edited by J_P on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J_P

Post by J_P » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm

Wez's Grumpy Bum

Wez's fears about a lack of fizz proved unfounded as the beer emerged from the bottle a lovely golden / copper colour with a nice head on 8) Sticking my nose in the glass I can smell sharp floral hops that are very refreshing there is also quite a malty smell that comes through too, "well dur" I hear you groan, this is something I find quite different to my own ales of a similar colour, it's really nice. It's almost the same aromatic maltiness I've tasted in some Belgian Tripels - what's the secret Wez? If I'm honest there was a slight touch of haze in there :wink: but this in no way detracted from a really good pint.

I can see this one getting an outing in the summer it's a perfect BBQ or post allotment evening pint.

Who'd have thought that two grumpy pints could make a grumpy sod smile so much - Cheers Chaps!

P.S. What yeast did you use?

Wez

Post by Wez » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Thanks for a kind review JP 8) I guess I must have sent Vossy a duff! :oops: his bottle was flat.com

I used Gervin English Ale yeast in that one

I bottled the Grumpy Bum direct from KK so I didn't know how it would keep.

Calum

Post by Calum » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 pm

P.S. Quick question - Calum / Vossy did you use any sort of pH5.2 stabilser at all?
Nope, unadulterated Fife water.

Glad you enjoyed the beer. 8)

J_P

Post by J_P » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 pm

Wez wrote: I must have sent Vossy a duff
It must've been the added trauma mine had getting to me that made it fizz up more!

J_P

Post by J_P » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:52 pm

Calum wrote:
Nope, unadulterated Fife water.

Glad you enjoyed the beer. 8)
Bang goes my theory :-k Mind you I'm tucking into some Hooky Street and it tastes totally different to how it did last week :shock: I'm not too sure it's because of the different beer I've been drinking or the fact it's changed in the bottle, my money is on the former although it could be down to the Bombay mix I'm munching on :flip:

Wez

Post by Wez » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:54 pm

If my theory is correct then I reckon Wez used 5.2 too
No 5.2 stabiliser here, my water treatment consists of 1/2 crushed campden tablet in mash and sparge water and usually 1tsp CRS in the mash to get the PH down to ~5.2
It must've been the added trauma mine had getting to me that made it fizz up more!
:lol: I'd have just loved to see the IT guy's face when he thought his new laptop had arrived and got 3 bottles of homebrew instead :!: :lol: :lol: I'll use plain boxes next time :wink:

Wez

Post by Wez » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:56 pm

I'm tucking into some Hooky Street and it tastes totally different to how it did last week
How are you finding the Hookey St JP?

J_P

Post by J_P » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:07 pm

It's always the ruddy same just as I'm getting to the end of my stock I'm really enjoying it! After comparing and contrasting it with other folks brews I have a new found confidence in my brewing abilities and this ale seems to personify that feeling for me. I compared it favourably to hobgoblin when I first started drinking it now I'm comparing hobgoblin favourably to Hooky Street 8)

Calum

Post by Calum » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:15 pm

J_P wrote:It's always the ruddy same just as I'm getting to the end of my stock I'm really enjoying it! After comparing and contrasting it with other folks brews I have a new found confidence in my brewing abilities and this ale seems to personify that feeling for me. I compared it favourably to hobgoblin when I first started drinking it now I'm comparing hobgoblin favourably to Hooky Street 8)
I used to like Hobgoblin but I seemed to get a few that were skunked :( Why do marketing people insist on clear bottles? :evil:

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:18 pm

Yep ph 5.2, and campden tabs
I guess I must have sent Vossy a duff!
Phew :D , there's always going to be one unlucky sod..might as well be me :D

J_P

Post by J_P » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:38 pm

Calum wrote:Why do marketing people insist on clear bottles? :evil:
Simple it's Style over Substance any day of the week with those folks, trust me I work with people like this. AS a techie I occasionally have to fend off the odd cry of "burn him" and "he's a witch" but as long as you distract them with something shiny and they're generally pretty harmless :lol:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:49 pm

Mysterio didn't although it was a dark beer so I could be wrong.
Sorry J.P. I use 5.2 in everything I brew, especially the dark beers where I use more if anything (to help counter the acidity of the darker malts). I've not found it to impart any flavours personally.

Calum & Wez, I'm looking forward to sampling your beers this week :)