yeast blend= fast ferment?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

yeast blend= fast ferment?

Post by Rookie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:14 pm

I brewed an IPA several days ago to 1.064 and a LOT of hops (well over 100 calculated). I pitched three different yeasts: S-04, S-33, and Munton's. It got going pretty darn quick and was down to 1.010 in four days. That seemed a bit quick, but other than extremely hoppy it tastes pretty good.
Anyone else notice quick ferments with multiple yeast strains?
I'm just here for the beer.

Raize
Steady Drinker

Re: yeast blend= fast ferment?

Post by Raize » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:15 am

Assuming you didn't make a starter or use partial packets of yeast, it's probably more due to the fact that you pitched three packets of yeast instead of one.

I've found S-33 to be a particularly fast [also bad, and underattenuating strain] so maybe that has something to do with it.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: yeast blend= fast ferment?

Post by Rookie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 pm

Raize wrote:Assuming you didn't make a starter or use partial packets of yeast, it's probably more due to the fact that you pitched three packets of yeast instead of one.

I've found S-33 to be a particularly fast [also bad, and underattenuating strain] so maybe that has something to do with it.
The S-04 was two years beyond it's best by date and the Munton's was a year past. I wasn't sure if the two would have been enough and threw in the new S-33 just to be sure.
I've liked S-33 when I used it before and the only time it under-attenuated was in a rye porter with a large percentage of specialty grains. 1.064 down to 1.010 is certainly not under attenuated it's 84.375%.
I'm just here for the beer.