Infection?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Cam
Steady Drinker

Infection?

Post by Cam » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 am

Hi All,

Just wondered if you guys think this could be an infection? It was pretty hard to photograph. Its like an oily skin on the top. Now I did have toasted coconut in as a "dry hop" and this has only appeared since removing it last Thursday. It doesn't seem to be growing so I'm thinking it may just be the oils from that collecting on the surface. Will it be safe enough to bottle and see how it goes? I'll taste a little first to check but dont fancy poisoning myself haha.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Infection?

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:23 am

I don't see anything there that would worry me apart from the oilyness, and as you say, that's a chance to be from the coconut. The particles just look like clumps of yeast to me.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Cam
Steady Drinker

Post by Cam » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 am

Jim wrote:I don't see anything there that would worry me apart from the oilyness, and as you say, that's a chance to be from the coconut. The particles just look like clumps of yeast to me.
Thanks for the reply Jim. This in only my 3rd beer I've brewed so still new to it all.

Cam
Steady Drinker

Post by Cam » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:14 am

Just an updated. Bottled the beer last night and before I did poured a little into a glass to test. NO off flavors, in fact for the 3rd beer I've brewed and the first steeping specialty grains I am blown away how good it tastes. Cant wait to see what its like carbonated and chilled.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:31 am

If you can, when racking this beer out of the fermenter try and keep your racking cane/syphon under the oiliness and leave it undisturbed on top as the oil will kill the beer's head.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Cam
Steady Drinker

Post by Cam » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Jocky wrote:If you can, when racking this beer out of the fermenter try and keep your racking cane/syphon under the oiliness and leave it undisturbed on top as the oil will kill the beer's head.
Cheers, I currently use a tap at the bottom of the fermeter. So I made sure to leave a bit at the end so as not to get any of the oil in the bottles.