Fermentation rate

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Impatient

Fermentation rate

Post by Impatient » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:18 am

If I am being impatient forgive me, but after 6 days my Gravity reading has only dropped from 1056 to 1027. That was just me testing as a curious newbie, but wondering if that should inspire me to do something? Garage is about 18 degrees, probably dipping to 16 overnight. Definitely tastes sweet.

It is just an American IPA kit using 05 yeast.

Happy to leave as long as it takes, but concerned activity has stopped.

Impatient

Re: Fermentation rate

Post by Impatient » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:51 am

Shouldn't reply to my own post but found this quote elsewhere...

Here's your problem. I know you're excited, but don't baby the beer. Treat it like a red-headed stepchild, banish it to a cold dark basement for a couple of weeks, and try to forget it's down there. Don't worry. Yeast LIKE to be treated that way, and will reward your neglect with tasty beer.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:01 am

I'd check it in another half week. If its still stuck then consider rousing the yeast. I've got the same quandary currently- my Dubbel has gone from 1.050 (I know, a bit low- over-estimated my boil off) to 1.024 in 6 days at 22 degrees. Normally those Belgian yeasts go like the clappers. In my case I wonder if the issue is the fact it's a top-cropper- there's an amazing amount of thick yeast sat on top of the krausen which ideally would be in the beer doing it's thing.... I know I underpitched initially and I wonder if the yeast sat on top of the krausen has further reduced the yeast numbers. Then again it might just be having a pause whilst working out how to metabolise the sugars (having finished all the maltose).

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:07 am

I usually leave mine for two weeks, just a little peek now and again at the beginning to make sure it's started

Have a look at the fermentation fridges people convert for temperature control.

That quote made me laugh

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am

If you've got space, you could bring it inside. The higher temp should get the yeast moving a bit quicker, plus the act of moving your fermenter should kick the yeast up from the bottom.