Well it had to happen some time...

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
iqofafish
Tippler

Well it had to happen some time...

Post by iqofafish » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:21 pm

After 5 years I've oxidised a beer in secondary. Smells bad but tastes worse. Gutted as it was quite nice for a green beer when it came out of the primary.

1st beer i've binned in nearly 3 years too. Nevermind.

Better get another brew on!!

iqofafish
Tippler

Re: Well it had to happen some time...

Post by iqofafish » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Actually, on reflection it may not be oxidised, probably an infection. It's smells and tastes more mouldy than wet cardboard.
Either way it's being sacrifised to the beer drain gods.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Sterilise everything associated with that brew, just in case...

iqofafish
Tippler

Post by iqofafish » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Yeah, I'll be at bleach central tomorrow, that's for sure.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:57 pm

iqofafish wrote:Actually, on reflection it may not be oxidised, probably an infection. It's smells and tastes more mouldy than wet cardboard.
Beat me to it :lol: I had one a few months ago. Kegged a lovely pale ale, single hopped with Pioneer, into a 'dirty' keg by mistake. The keg was 'contaminated' with cider yeast. It tasted like shite (whatever that tastes like), but actually matured into a kind of acceptable brew. Admittedly, I drank it alone in the dark listening to Iron Maiden. I think listening to Iron Maiden helped, though :twisted:

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:02 pm

iqofafish wrote:Yeah, I'll be at bleach central tomorrow, that's for sure.
Bleach rocks. I use it all the time. A good rinse then use a non rinse sanitiser :wink:

pint of heavy

Post by pint of heavy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:42 pm

what an absolute bitch!!!
In the many years i have been brewing i have used bleach followed by a rinse, then boiling water swirl for a couple of mins finishing with a rinse round with sodium met to kill the bleach never had an infection. Tried star san and cant get to grips with it only use it for bottles at bottling which i have done the above with and store with the sodium met in

iqofafish
Tippler

Post by iqofafish » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:53 pm

pint of heavy wrote:what an absolute bitch!!!
In the many years i have been brewing i have used bleach followed by a rinse, then boiling water swirl for a couple of mins finishing with a rinse round with sodium met to kill the bleach never had an infection. Tried star san and cant get to grips with it only use it for bottles at bottling which i have done the above with and store with the sodium met in
After sterilising everything, and rinsing, how much water to sodium met ratio do you use for the bleach killing? I was thinking along the lines of say 10L water to 1 crushed campden tablet, soak everything in the beer bin, remove pipes, bits and bobs and then give the bin a good shake, then rinse again.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:06 pm

McMullan wrote:
iqofafish wrote:Actually, on reflection it may not be oxidised, probably an infection. It's smells and tastes more mouldy than wet cardboard.
Beat me to it :lol: I had one a few months ago. Kegged a lovely pale ale, single hopped with Pioneer, into a 'dirty' keg by mistake. The keg was 'contaminated' with cider yeast. It tasted like shite (whatever that tastes like), but actually matured into a kind of acceptable brew. Admittedly, I drank it alone in the dark listening to Iron Maiden. I think listening to Iron Maiden helped, though :twisted:
It didn't give you a fear of the dark?

iqofafish
Tippler

Post by iqofafish » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:17 pm

Well I think I may have found the source of the problem.

There was a very small brown spot inside the tubing. When I poured it down the drain, there was a cornflake sized piece of what looked like mould. Guess that manifested from the dirty tube.

Bleaching of everything now in progress.