Crossmyloof yeast

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Crossmyloof yeast

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 pm

wolfenrook wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm
Cost and performance are excellent with most CML yeasts, flavour however is sometimes a different story.

Using the real ale yeast I started noticing a "Belgian" taint to my beers, which just didn't seem right for the styles, possibly it doesn't like been fermented at room temperature (20 degrees C). So tried out Mangrove Jack's M36 Liberty Bell, just as quick, even more vigorous, and a nicer (imho) flavour profile in the finished product with no "Belgian" taint.
Just re-reading this thread having been very pleased with the last couple of brews with Liberty Bell, thanks again for that tip.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Belgian taint it may be the odd under taste I can't name in my batch with CML real ale??

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Wed May 30, 2018 12:34 am

Now I have more experience with the flavour, it's a sort of blend made up of spice and bubblegum. Delicious on something like a Patersbier, not so nice in a British style.

Glad the M36 is working for you. It's still my go to for British styles where I don't want a completely neutral yeast. Was amazing in the Hobgoblin Gold clone that I made, flavour was bang on.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 am

I seem to have clearing issues with the real ale yeast. So far every brew has been cloudy, even after transferring to a 2nd fv for a week. Not an issue with dark beers but I like my SMASH'es to be clear with out using finings.

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Thu May 31, 2018 6:44 am

I find the real ale yeast drops very clear. 7-10 days in primary, 7-10 day cold, 14 days in corny, occasionally 21 days may be needed. I use protofloc in the boiler.
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Thu May 31, 2018 8:32 am

Hairybiker wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 am
I seem to have clearing issues with the real ale yeast. So far every brew has been cloudy, even after transferring to a 2nd fv for a week. Not an issue with dark beers but I like my SMASH'es to be clear with out using finings.
Why do't you lke to use finings?

Guy

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Thu May 31, 2018 5:29 pm

With So4/gervin I don't need them, so why do I need them with this yeast.
My wort is clear going in and all I want is clear wort out.

Using protfloc in the GF and get nice clear wort out, but the week in primary/same in secondary and STILL cloudy going to cornie is annoying. It does drop some yeast in the 2ndary but not all of it.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:16 am

If you get clear beer with SO4/Gervin it sounds like this yeast simply doesn't flocculate as well as the others. Finings would help by clumping the yeast cells together, causing them to drop out more easily.

Guy

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:19 am

@guypettigrew that is hat I said before. I don't WANT to have to use finings but this yeast is forcing me to. Which negates the cost saving against so4 etc

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Hairybiker wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:19 am
@guypettigrew that is hat I said before. I don't WANT to have to use finings but this yeast is forcing me to. Which negates the cost saving against so4 etc
My approach to brewing is that the only finings you should need to use are kettle finings in the boil. Gravity and time should do the rest, and if they don't then either your process needs adjusting (which I did, increasing the intensity of my boils, and cooling much faster post boil), or the yeast is at fault.

A packet of M36 Liberty Bell costs me £2.28 to £2.40 per packet (I usually combine my orders, so shipping isn't an issue), I really don't see the point in pinching pennies on a brew, especially if you then have to spend more on things like cold crashing and/or additional finings, negating most if not all of the savings.

So, for me, I can summarise like so:-

CML Real Ale: Nope, there are much better yeasts.

CML US Pale: I need to give it one more try, as only tried it once (but that brew literally NEVER cleared, ever, and had an odd sour flavour to it).

CML Saison De Lille: Again, need to give it a second try. First try tasted ok, but under attenuated, HOWEVER it was my first AG, and I had to adjust the OG from 1.040 to 1.045 using DME, and DME doesn't ever seem to attenuate as well.

CML Belgian: Yup all the way! Delicious beer (Greg Hughes Patersbier) with lovely notes of bubblegum and spice, lovely and clear.

CML Kristallweizen: Yup from me, cleared nicely (not really essential in a wheat beer though... lol), had a lovely banana flavour. Huge nope from my wife, thanks to that lovely banana flavour (she hates banana flavour... lol). Future wheat beers I'll be using either Belgian yeasts, or neutral ones. It's a Bavarian wheat yeast though, so was my mistake trying to use it to make a Belgian Wit (along with coriander and dried bitter orange peel... lmao). In my defence, I hadn't been brewing long when I made it... lol

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm

@wolfenrook have you tried the CML Kolsch?

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Not yet, it's still sat in the fridge waiting for me to use it. It is one I want to try though, probably won't be true to style though, more likely I'll brew something light and fruity (pilsen malt, torrefied wheat, US/New World hops) as that's what we enjoy drinking.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:53 pm

My second batch of Kölsch using CML yeast is currently lagering. Good attenuation and the character of both my efforts so far have been very close to style.

I went to Cologne and tried as many different variants as possible so I knew what I was aiming for! :D

Overall recommended, but it does take a while to drop clear if that bothers you. I can wait a few weeks as there is always something else to drink!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:55 pm

I've only done 1 Kolsch with the CML yeast. Result was good but I've switched back to W-34/70 for now. Got a few packs of the Kolsch in the fridge too.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Digby wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:53 pm
My second batch of Kölsch using CML yeast is currently lagering. Good attenuation and the character of both my efforts so far have been very close to style.

I went to Cologne and tried as many different variants as possible so I knew what I was aiming for! :D

Overall recommended, but it does take a while to drop clear if that bothers you. I can wait a few weeks as there is always something else to drink!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
When I've used it it has fermented and dropped clear within about 4 days of pitching

This was one beer that was made 8 days previously and bottled after a mere 5 days.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Cracking photo, looks a lovely pint. Brilliant clarity.