Real experiences of using mangrove jack yeast?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Real experiences of using mangrove jack yeast?

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Information on these yeast strains is very thin on the ground.

Does anyone have actual experience of using the various strains, or have links to honest appraisals of them?

I have had a lot of stalling issues with them, and under attenuation. But the various workarounds and troubleshooting tips that you get for other strains are not around for these.

Especially keen for any info on the m76 lager yeast that is taking a lot of time to drop the last few points

Ulsterman

Re: Real experiences of using mangrove jack yeast?

Post by Ulsterman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 pm

I have just used M44 for a blonde ale. There was a healthy krausen in the fermenter and I left it for an extra week. Just transferred into secondary today and will bottle 5th 6th August as going off for a weeks holiday. So far everything looks and tastes ok but it is my first time using it so can't give you any real feedback. Certainly have a clear beer so no issues there.

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:10 pm

I've used M36 and M44 in the past and I've had no issues, usually dropping to desired FG inside three days.

are you fermenting in the stated temp range?
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:29 pm

I used the Bohemian Lager yeast. Didn't take long to hit gravity, but took a long time to clean up and be a nice pint.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am

I had good experiences with the Bavarian Lager - two packs fermenting 20 litres at around 10/11c. More or less the Brulosophy quick lager method. The M44 West Coast I used once as it came with a free recipe kit I got and I won't be using it again - worryingly slow start and not nearly as clean as something like US-05.

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 am

I've also used the Bavarian lager yeast- two packets in a simple single hopped wort 25 litres at around 1.040 fermented at 10 degrees. I used a traditional lager profile and kept it cool for two weeks before increasing for a diacetyl rest. Have to say I'm very impressed with this yeast. Not the cheapest especially when using two packets but would definitely use it again. I found that after only a short time lagering it was crystal clear very clean tasting
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am

One of my favourite yeasts was MJ27 Belgian Ale which I don't think you can get any more. It was very reliable, had a great flavour profile, was temperature tolerant and didn't over attenuate like some Saison yeasts.
I've not tried MJ41 yet though or MJ47 which looks a better bet as a replacement and I see MJ do a specific Saison yeast of their own too.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 am

Greatly enjoyed a Kwak clone that a friend made with M31 recently. Took at least 36 hrs to get going apparently, and he let it free rise from 20c, but only 10g in 1.080. Excellent Belgian qualities, and I'm used to using the liquid strains.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:02 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Information on these yeast strains is very thin on the ground.

Does anyone have actual experience of using the various strains, or have links to honest appraisals of them?

I have had a lot of stalling issues with them, and under attenuation. But the various workarounds and troubleshooting tips that you get for other strains are not around for these.

Especially keen for any info on the m76 lager yeast that is taking a lot of time to drop the last few points
Had both the issues you cite, wouldn't use again.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Information on these yeast strains is very thin on the ground.

The manufacturer can be approached here.

http://www.spl-int.com/products_table3. ... rod_cat=14

They also run the www.Port66.co.uk site, the name comes from their address. Poole Hall Industrial Estate, Ellesmere Port CH66 1ST

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Used MO3 for a very successful Newky clone (extract, partial mash) and more recently Liberty Bell M36 for Hobgoblin all grain. Fermented the latter at 19.5, off quickly and done in 4 days (1008). Really like them and will be using their Wit yeast for my first wheat beer.

Pat
Last edited by patwestlake on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:00 am

It's slightly difficult to answer this as they've recently changed the range, or just the names.
The West Coast is OK, I've used the Liberty Bell once with good results, wasn't happy with the old weisse yeast and the old Newky Brown Ale or whatever it was crapped out a a rediculously high FG.
I've just kegged a bitter using a blend of the M15 Empire and the M42 Strong Ale hoping for some esters but a dryer finish, the sample on kegging tasted a lot like Nottingham (Appley but conditions out) so we'll see,
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Fifi

Post by Fifi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm

I've used M36 and M44 a few times now and I like them both. M44 might be a bit slow to get going but when it does it really goes woosh..

Also tried the M21 Belgian wit and did have problems with stalling/low attenuation. Tasted quite good but I won't be in a rush to use it again.

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Post by sandimas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I've only used M15 Empire Ale Yeast "A top-fermenting ale yeast suitable for a variety of full bodied ales, with exceptional depth. "

I wasn't that impressed, was trying to get a real fruity English ale but the flavour was bland and the FG finished much higher than I was expecting. Went back to using Nottingham & Safale S-04.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 am

I have used M21 Belgian Wit which I wasn't very impressed with, it was severely under attenuated.

The West Coast one had a hell of a lag time and as mentioned above nowhere near as good as US05.