Fermenting at 12°C ?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
KevH
Steady Drinker

Fermenting at 12°C ?

Post by KevH » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Evening, I'm (trying!) to ferment a pilsner and am using wyeast 'czech pils' live yeast (smack pack).

My recipe said to ferment at 12°C so i have my fermenting fridge set to that and it is maintaining that temp. The specific yeast strain 'works' at that temp (according to wyeast website).....

However..... I see no action in the fermenter and i took a hydrometer reading again this evening. There has been no change in the gravity reading since i pitched the yeast (60 hours ago).

Does anyone have any suggestions what i should do?
BIAB, working through Greg Hughes (GH) recipes to begin with.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Fermenting: nothing.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drinking: nowt.
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Fermenting at 12°C ?

Post by jaroporter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:01 pm

age of yeast? batch size? pitch rate? pitch temperature?

give us a clue.. :lol:
dazzled, doused in gin..

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Did you just pitch the one smack pack without making a starter?
Due to the temperature you'll need to pitch a lot more than the one packet. IIRC it's something like a 5L starter or 3 packs of dried yeast in a 5 gallon batch.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:44 am

What's happening with the beer Kev?
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi gents, thanks for comments/suggestions. Pitch temp was 12°c - one (smack) pack into 15litres of wort at 1060 (did not make a starter). Next time I'll put 2-3 in at start, but since i hadn't/haven't got more this time, i haven't.
I do have a packet of us 05 which i've read will cope with low temps (i'd raise fridge temp a little if i pitched that) however as a last ditch effort to keep my recipe as close to as planned i re-airated the wort and raised temp to 12.5°c. Some life has appeared. I've now raised to 13.2°c to see if i can get more life out of it, as a crust has appeared (but not as large as i'm used to at warmer temps). Once that's died off, I'll check gravity and pitch the 05 if needs be.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 am

Update: Bottled the beer last night.

After 2 weeks fermentation appeared to have stalled at 1034. Pitched (half - i managed to drop the open packet!) rehydrated 05 to see what that could do with it. Upped temp to 13.9'c to help.
Two weeks later it had finished at 1012.
I now have a 6.43% pilsner that's conditioning and will hopefully be enjoying in about 6weeks time.

(out of interest, can i still call it a pilsner? - i believe its stronger than most exports!)

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 pm

KevH wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 am
out of interest, can i still call it a pilsner? - i believe its stronger than most exports!
I'm pretty sure I've heard of commercial brewers creating lagers with WLP001 or US05 as they both ferment down at cold temps and have a light flavour profile.

I would expect a lager to ferment slower though. How long was it supposed to take? I would have probably left it working for 4 weeks anyway.
Never enough time...