Sulfur taste/aroma in Lager

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 pm

I have a lager that I brewed about a month ago. It's tasting quite good at the moment but the sulfur taste and aroma is still a bit strong. I know that leaving it to condition will sort it out in time but I want to serve it at a party next weekend. Any suggestions for a quick-fix? My understanding is that sulfur is scrubbed out by CO2 coming out of solution so would it help to repeatedly vent and re-carbonate the keg?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Time is best healer in the meantime
Run CO2 down beer out tube of the keg which will bubble from bottom.
And just keep burping it.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Sulfur taste/aroma in Lager

Post by Jocky » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:24 pm

If you have a corny or sankey type keg then the you can scrub it out by bubbling some CO2 through it as ciderhead suggests.

Plastic kegs are more of a problem. If you have one with a S30 valve then you can vent it and repressurise and leave it for a few hours. Keep doing that and quite a bit of the sulphur can be released.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:50 am

Great suggestions. It's in a corny so I will give that a try. Thanks!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:38 am

As suggested, I released all pressure from the keg and then re-pressurised through the outlet and dip tube. I did it three times with a few hours between each. It worked a treat and the beer tastes and smells great now. Thanks for the suggestions!