The need to keep fermenter in fermentation chamber

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Ascher
Sober

The need to keep fermenter in fermentation chamber

Post by Ascher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 am

After a desired gravity has been reached when fermenting, is it necessary to keep the fermenter inside the fermentation chamber (in this case, a temp controlled fridge)?

Jim
Site Admin

Re: The need to keep fermenter in fermentation chamber

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 am

Hi Ascher. It's not strictly necessary, thought you should avoid very warm temperatures if possible as the shelf-life of the beer will be reduced.

I personally try to always keep the beer at a nice conditioning temperature of around 13C throughout its life; however it's not so easy if you don't have a dedicated serving cooler. At least try to keep it in the coolest place you have available - cellar, garage, shed etc, as long as they stay cool most of the time.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:44 am

I agree with Jim. If you do need to let the beer get much warmer though (say to make room for the next batch), it could be worth first racking it to a secondary fermenter (or bulk-conditioning keg or tank etc.) in order to get the beer off the majority of yeast sediment. The risk of off-flavours from autolysis is often over-stated IMO, but it is greater if things get warm. Of course, everything involved needs to be well disinfected, and splashing of the beer should be minimal, in order that racking doesn't in itself cause issues.
Kev

Ascher
Sober

Post by Ascher » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:03 am

Thanks for the info.