Pitching in kettle then double-dropping - Is this a bad idea?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
privatewiddle
Tippler

Pitching in kettle then double-dropping - Is this a bad idea?

Post by privatewiddle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:50 pm

I do small batches and collect yeast by top-cropping. I'd like to try double dropping but have extremely limited space so don't want more equipment.

My idea is to mash (BIAB) and then pitch into the wort without transferring from the pot I mashed & did the boil in. Then I would transfer to a demijohn 16-20 hours later after collecting yeast from the top.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work or cause problems?
Last edited by privatewiddle on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Pitching in mash tun then double-dropping - Is this a bad idea?

Post by Jocky » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Why do you want to try double dropping? It’s a technique for a large commercial brewery, not really intended for home brew scales.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

privatewiddle
Tippler

Re: Pitching in mash tun then double-dropping - Is this a bad idea?

Post by privatewiddle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Hello, I read this https://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/for ... mentation/ and thought I'd give it a try. I was going to split my batches in two anyway (to dry hop with different hops). As it seems easy to do I was wondering if I could pitch into the chilled wort in the tun/kettle.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Pitching in kettle then double-dropping - Is this a bad idea?

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:32 am

Can't see much issue barring a load of crap accumulating on your copper and a lack of oxygen in the first 24 hours. Depends what your valves and element are made from too, copper is good for yeast before ferment, bad after it, probably ok in the middle. Chrome isn't really suitable for FV but I doubt you'd run into any issues.

privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Hello,

Its an SS induction pot so there is no element, just the 304 steel pot itself. I'd oxygenate by passing air through a stone inside the wort that's fed through a tube passing through a hole in the lid. There would be a HEPA filter between the pump and the kettle. The wort will be aerated using this method for 30 minutes. After pitching the flow will be turned down and will carry on until the drop happens. The drop into a demijohn itself happens 16 to 20 hours into primary.

After skimming some crud from the top of the krausen, fresh healthy yeast is top-cropped and put into the demi-john(s). The drop should add some oxygen and then the rest of primary happens in glass without further aeration.

I'll only do this with English strains that are highly flocculant.

That's the theory anyway! I'm worried that I'm going to spend some dosh on this only to discover there's a fatal flaw in my reasoning.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Give it a go I think, although I don't think you'll gain any thing over just standard practice. Im not sure you'll spend much dosh given the small batch size, it would be the time that would annoy me if things went wrong :D The main problem would be there will a be a fair amount of trub in your copper, and if the yeast gets active enough by the time you drop you'll obviously transfer that over to your second vessel. Whereas if you let the typical hot break settle from the boil then transfer, that at least won't be part of the equation

Also, isn't top cropping best a couple of days into fermentation?

privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:19 am

I doubt I'm going to see major improvements doing this, but I'm cursed with the compulsion to try once the idea is in my head otherwise it bugs me!

I'm worried about what will happen with break material mixed with settling yeast on the bottom, but I suppose the only way to find out is give it a go. I'll try a yeast that gets going quickly and likes to floc out (S04 or Notty?)

You are correct that many people top-crop after 2 days or even on the third. However I read Marstons and Brakespeare do it at 16 to 20 hours. Of course their systems and yeast will be optimised for it, so I think I'll pick the time by observing the krausen.

Its going to be some time before I can try this due to work obligations, but I'll post back here when I have something to report.

Here's a page from the Colchester Brewery on the topic https://www.colchesterbrewery.com/doubl ... ng-process

Cheers!

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:33 am

Tbh if you've got an oxygen stone you'd be much better off using that, unless your aim is solely to replicate an old tradition.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Did you ever get around to doing this? I had toyed with doing something similar a while ago but dismissed it, would be interested to hear how you got on.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo