FV Extraction

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

FV Extraction

Post by Alexdc12 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi
I have setup a brew in my FV which should be nearing completion very soon. I plan to transfer this into a corny keg.
My questions are once i sanitise the keg do i need to do anything to it before putting the lager into it?
What is the best method for transferring from the FV to the keg? I have a syphon tube but i doubt this will be long enough to reach the bottom of the keg, i have plenty of beer line so that is an option. i guess i can connect it to the beer out line on the keg so that beer flows in through the spear and fills form the bottom up?
I plan to use Sodastream gas to carbonate so what pressure would i be best putting in there?
Thanks

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: FV Extraction

Post by LeeH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 pm

What sort of FV?

You're going to spend a fortune on gas using sodastream bottles. 1 every 3 kegs, probably less if you are force carbonating with it. You really need to find a local pub gas supplier and use a large cylinder of refill you sodastream bottles from that cylinder. I've just started to use them for the house kegerator and refilling is simple.

If using a plastic FV I starsan the keg, empty most of the foam and purge it a little with co2. Then with a tube transfer it to the bottom with the lid covering most of the opening.

When using the conical I can transfer under pressure under a couple of PSI through the dip tube.

Force carb at serving pressure keeps things simple and constant. Choose how much 'fizz' you need/want at your preferred serving temp and use a carbonation chart give you your PSI.

For me its 10PSI at 8 ish degrees for a typical ale. For larger you may want it colder and more carbonated.

HTH
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 pm

LeeH wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 pm
What sort of FV?

You're going to spend a fortune on gas using sodastream bottles. 1 every 3 kegs, probably less if you are force carbonating with it. You really need to find a local pub gas supplier and use a large cylinder of refill you sodastream bottles from that cylinder. I've just started to use them for the house kegerator and refilling is simple.

If using a plastic FV I starsan the keg, empty most of the foam and purge it a little with co2. Then with a tube transfer it to the bottom with the lid covering most of the opening.

When using the conical I can transfer under pressure under a couple of PSI through the dip tube.

Force carb at serving pressure keeps things simple and constant. Choose how much 'fizz' you need/want at your preferred serving temp and use a carbonation chart give you your PSI.

For me its 10PSI at 8 ish degrees for a typical ale. For larger you may want it colder and more carbonated.

HTH
Hi
Its a plastic FV, no tap on it either.
I agree with spending the fortune on gas but the supplier i use still didn't have any CO2 so i decided to just use Sodastream to get this one carbonated whilst i wait for a bigger bottle.
Id be interested in refilling them, may have a little google on that! :)

Thanks for your help!
I shall check the FG tonight and then again tomorrow, hopefully it will be at the magic number and then i can go from there.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Carb chart is at the bottom.

With no tap you will have to siphon. Get a tap for your FV for an easy life.

http://jollygoodbeer.co.uk/2015/08/23/u ... in-the-uk/
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:42 pm

LeeH wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:23 pm
Carb chart is at the bottom.

With no tap you will have to siphon. Get a tap for your FV for an easy life.

http://jollygoodbeer.co.uk/2015/08/23/u ... in-the-uk/
May be a silly question but ill ask anyway! Is the temperature on the chart the Stored temperature or the serving temp?

This will be left in my garage in the corny keg for the next 2 months probably, i can bring it indoors if that is going to be too cold for it?
Thanks

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Unfortunately you need need 2 constants to serve from a keg reliably. Temp and pressure.

Buy a scruffy fridge off gumtree, a small heater and ink bird controller from eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:12 pm

LeeH wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:01 pm
Unfortunately you need need 2 constants to serve from a keg reliably. Temp and pressure.

Buy a scruffy fridge off gumtree, a small heater and ink bird controller from eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
is it safe to put a heater inside a fridge? I have seen people using the controllers for fridges but didn't realise you need to put a heater in there too?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:15 pm

if you ever want to serve above ambient temp ie beerfridge in garage mid winter.. then yes a heater would be necessary but its generally a less crucial aspect for a keg fridge than a fermentation fridge.. the low watt (40-60w) tube heaters generally used never get much more than warm to the touch.. avoid smaller more concentrated devices, there have been instances of ceramic reptile enclosure heaters that plug into a lighting sockets melting the inner shell of fridges..

ambient temp kegging is possible, using a shelf chiller for the summer or just laying off when too hot.. but its a much mre dynamic process involving a pressure reset (keg vent) prior to every serving session and probably a bit of flow control tap and even co2 reg tweaking weekly.. just select the coolest spot available as the keg store (concrete floors retain the chill quite well ;) )
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Little bit of a disaster!

Filled the corny OK. Tried to put gas inlet on and it was just spiting beer back out of it. Wouldn't goon properly. On the beer out side the connector went on fine so decided togas from that side.
Connecwted the reg I bought to sodastream bottle and then line from that to keg. Turned the reg open and gas was pissing out a hole on the side. Covered it with my finger to fill the keg so hope the psi is about right.

Any ideas why that reg is doing that? Pic attached. It's the hole under the valve to open/ close the gas.

Also how am I going to connect gas when this ready if there is backpressure on the gas??

I think I may have overfilled and that's why gas is coming out the gas connector
Thanks
Attachments
DSC_1042~01.jpg

LeeH
Under the Table

FV Extraction

Post by LeeH » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 pm

If beer was coming out of the gas side that means your keg was too full. You need to keep the liquid under the small pipe inside as you can fill your reg full of beer and damage it.

Have you got the correct disconnect in? Grey fit has, black for beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 am

Hi there
I personally dont think you can overfill the keg. I think that the pressure in the keg was greater than the poressure coming from your reg, thats how it backfired and came out the reg. Always de pressure the keg before attaching the gas line. Or you can fit non return valves to your gas lines that will prevent any beer getting back to your regulator. Hope this explains it for you.
regards
Patch

LeeH
Under the Table

FV Extraction

Post by LeeH » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:25 am

But if your pressure is off when you connect it you end up with a reg full of beer. Hence why you always want to keep it below the gas inlet.

Accidents happen, it’s not worth the risk for another couple of pints in your keg.

I agree a NRV is another safe guard.

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:32 am

HI Lee
Fair point of view. But I always fill my cornies to the absolute max to eliminate as much oxygen as possible. I still purge the corny just to make sure that no oxygen is present. I agree that the non return valves albeit an expense guarantee no back pressure and proiblem solved.
regards
Patch

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:16 am

Thanks both. Makes sense.

One thing i dont understand is the reg though. It must be faulty.
If I have the regulator turned off I can blow through the outlet and feel the air coming through that smallhole under the valve. It's the first time I have used this reg as only purchased it last week.

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:17 am

LeeH wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 pm
If beer was coming out of the gas side that means your keg was too full. You need to keep the liquid under the small pipe inside as you can fill your reg full of beer and damage it.

Have you got the correct disconnect in? Grey fit has, black for beer.

I think I used the black one! Hence why it fitted on the beer side! Doh!