Brausol finings

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
timb
Steady Drinker

Brausol finings

Post by timb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Good morning all,

Can anyone offer some advice on dosage and application of Brausol Special finings please?
Results on dosage seems to vary between 4ml to 7ml for a 23l batch.
I'm looking to add it to my fermenter post-fermentation and then bottle straight from there as usual.
Can I just add it to the top of the beer and it'll do its job or will I need to rack off into another vessel and introduce it there?
How long before bottling should I do this?
Too many questions!

Thanks

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Brausol finings

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Not used brausol specifically but fining efficacy varies massively, for example I use Cellabrite and it's anywhere between 1ml-5ml per litre, so 20ml to 100ml! Big difference. Comes down to protein in the grain, how well you remove solids from the mash, pH etc etc.

Best thing to do is to pull a pint off and trial it at different ratios in 1/3 pint - high, medium and low, find what works best for you, then use that for your future beers. It's important to get it right, under fining will leave hazy beer, over fining can cause stringy/loose sediment that hazes up the beer. Should be fine to add it on top.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:45 pm

I’ve always just put it in the FV and mixed it up a little bit. Everything will drop out again after a few days of chilling with the finings added. I then rack off to a bottling bucket when it’s time.

I think I just used 3-4g in my last 20’ish litre batches. I never did trials at varying doses, but probably should have for optimal results.

timb
Steady Drinker

Post by timb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks guys, I guess some experimentation is in order. I’ll take a pint out and split it just to see what happens.
Will try 4g in the fermenter and chill as well.

Cheers

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:00 pm

timb wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 pm
Thanks guys, I guess some experimentation is in order. I’ll take a pint out and split it just to see what happens.
Will try 4g in the fermenter and chill as well.

Cheers
You’ll need a syringe that will measure out tiny volumes of liquid. At 3ml/20L dosage you will only need 0.15ml for 1L.