Using ferm. fridge for salami?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
bottles
Steady Drinker

Using ferm. fridge for salami?

Post by bottles » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi everyone.
I've been looking at making salami / charcuterie in my fermentation fridge between brews. Has anyone else tried this?
The main concern I have is salami use bacterial fermentation as part of the curing process. Does this pose a risk of infection when brewing?
Long term I'm looking at getting a second fridge as larger hams etc could be Curing for months or longer.
Andrew

richard080561
Piss Artist

Re: Using ferm. fridge for salami?

Post by richard080561 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:01 pm

I've thought about using my fermentation fridge for curing meats and for cheeses. The biggest issue for me is working out how to control relative humidity. I'm sure cleaning and sanitising would deal with any risk of cross contamination
Richard M
Cardiff

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:22 pm

A weak bleach rinse down on the inside of the fridge after use should take care of most things in there.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:50 am

It perhaps depends on the fridge, the older styles with inaccessible gaps behind the cooling plate and hollow/dodgy seals can grow stuff in the damp, and become really awful after an overflow or two. So IMO its best to assume those are hostile environments and work accordingly in any case.
Kev

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks. By chance found a glass fronted fridge around the corner. So now have two fridges for beer and charcuterie.
Andrew

mooncat
Tippler

Post by mooncat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:40 pm

Maybe for interest. I used my fermentation fridge set at 2c to dry age a rib of beef sealed with butter for 60 days. The result was incredible tender beef. No mould on the butter but probably not a good medium. Oh and I had a cheep usb fan circulating air.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:36 pm

I made salami. Just hung the sausages in my garage. Worked a treat.

However, the attempt at air-dried ham we shall discuss no further... :-&
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:14 pm

richard080561 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:01 pm
I've thought about using my fermentation fridge for curing meats and for cheeses. The biggest issue for me is working out how to control relative humidity. I'm sure cleaning and sanitising would deal with any risk of cross contamination
This has been on my list of things to do for years. I have a fridge, temperature and humidity controllers. I think also a tube heater, a fan as mooncat mentioned and to provide humidity, a 'fogger' of the type found in terrariums. I was going to buy mine from Maplins.