Dry hopping

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
MikeG
Piss Artist

Dry hopping

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:37 pm

I hope this is the correct place for a "dry hopping" topic, well it does take place during fermentation doesn't it?

I've noticed that the received wisdom around dry hoping is to wait for the fermentation to nearly stop before adding the hops. I've been adding hops to the FV at the same time as I pitch the yeast for nearly 4 years now. ...and IMO the beer tastes good.

Can anyone tell me why adding them later is better?

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Dry hopping

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Not sure, but it may be about reducing the risk of infection. Any nasties in the hops could, possibly, get hold before the yeast gets going. But, if you're not having a problem, carry on!

I dry hop in the keg.

Guy

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 pm

The results differ, so people have their own favourite time to dry hop (or else do it at more than one stage). 'Better' depends on what you want and the results that you believe they give, and opinions are (as so often) divided. There are also some links with factions championing especially low-oxygen-brewing and/or beer styles with extreme amounts of (and reliance on) dry hops, which might not be factors for everyone.

When dry hopping early, that lovely hop aroma you smell being vented with the CO2 is of course being lost from the beer; it is easier to retain it after the fermenter is no longer gassing. So dry hopping later is felt to be good in that particular respect, plus also the yeast have largely dropped out so by this point are less likely to pull down hop goodness as they go.

However if the dry hops are added during active fermentation apparently biotransformations occur that are supposed to help retain aroma in a slightly different (and potentially longer lasting) form, offsetting that which is directly vented. Personally I've yet to be convinced by the end result, but many think it works for them and it is becoming more common.

The third way is kind of a middle ground between the two, added later in fermentation whilst the yeast are still fairly active but not as long to go. This is most often aimed at avoiding the introduction of oxygen after the yeast have quietened down and so less quick to deal with it. Not necessarily/just to avoid oxidised flavours in themselves, but also to reduce the rate of the hop-aroma's degradation that oxygen is thought to speed up.
Last edited by Kev888 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:57 am

Bit of a piece of string question and regularly crops up on the pro forums, there’s no right or wrong really.

Pre ferment - biotransformation, fruiter
Near end of ferment - stirring, reduced chance of hop creep, sensible to keep warm during diacetyl rest and crash cool to drop them out
End of ferment - dry hopping in cleaner beer so trub smothers hops less, can seal tank with co2 for further aroma loss.
In keg - works fine, increases chance of hop creep.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Different hops react differently to biotransformation so your results may vary.
I'm just here for the beer.