Secondary fermentation in a polypin

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Secondary fermentation in a polypin

Post by gobuchul » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:35 am

So I have 2 batches of bitter in polypins, they will be dispensed through my beer engine.

I have primed with brewing sugar and they have started secondary fermentation nicely.

If I don't vent them, will the CO2 be absorbed by the beer or could it burst the polypin?

Previously when using polypins and a beer engine I haven't bothered with priming, so not sure what the best thing to do is?

Should I wait until the secondary stops before drinking?

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Secondary fermentation in a polypin

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:43 am

A burst polypin would be a real mess! What temperature do you have them at?

Perhaps best to let some of the excess pressure out if you can. Are the polypins on their 'backs' with the opening at the top? If they are then just open the caps a little to let a bit of gas out.

If they are fermenting well then the gas will be dissolving in the beer as long as it isn't too warm. The cooler the beer the more gas will dissolve in it.

Guy

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:21 am

They are currently at a cool room temperature. Just checked the actual temperature of the beer and it is 16C.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am

I always store them with the tap on the top and if it starts to resemble a football release some gas. As I tend to use yeasts that settle quickly I can slowly turn the pin a day before connecting to the handpump and still get clear beer.