Unsure about Temp Change

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
bigstig
Tippler

Unsure about Temp Change

Post by bigstig » Sat May 29, 2021 12:05 pm

Hello All
Ten days ago I started Fermenting a Wilko's Dark Velvet Stout OG was 1.048 and temp of 19-19.5c think its finished fermenting now as stopped Bubbling (although I know this is not a given) Gravity Reading of 1.010 instructions say a FG of 1.008. I remember reading somewhere that turning the temp up helps with the Yeast finishing off the impurities that's left over I could be wrong.
So my question would be would It be OK if I turned the Temp up to 22c for a couple of days OR should I just go ahead and Rack it up into Bottles and my King Keg
thank you

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Unsure about Temp Change

Post by Eric » Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Yeast will ingest those byproducts for so long as they are present, just that the higher the temperature the greater the rate.

10 days is more than enough time and certainly time to transfer to the King Keg as it has a relief valve should fermentation continue. You might want to cool the beer to drop some yeast before racking to the KK.

My fermentations are usually complete in 3 to 4 days. Temperature is allowed to rise naturally to ~22/23C, then gently cooled to cellar temperature for racking to plastic barrels about a week from pitching. Any beer to be bottled takes the same route and first spends a week or so in a barrel.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

bigstig
Tippler

Post by bigstig » Sat May 29, 2021 2:38 pm

Eric thank you for the reply that's exactly what wanted to know THANK YOU Hope you are well
regards

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon May 31, 2021 3:46 pm

All well here Tony, thank you. Been spending time out getting fresh air, exercise and sun since the weather warmed somewhat.

Fermentation is complicated and an academic subject by itself and brewers are faced by many fears and misunderstandings. Much does depend upon the strain and expectations of the drinker, while temperature has a significant impact on the finished product. However, with many different factors at play it is easy to draw incorrect conclusions.

Higher temperature fermentations are faster and produce more esters and greater quantities of higher alcohols, all of which increase the range and intensities of the created flavours. Those components are mostly produced during earlier stages of fermentation, so it is usual to pitch at a lower temperature to avoid excesses, particularly of hot alcohols in stronger beers. More flavourful beers are produced by allowing fermentation temperature to rise, but caution is required to avoid temperature rising too quickly and too early in the process. I believe the commonplace advice to ferment at 19C until the certainty of reaching (so called) final gravity followed by a period at higher temperature to clean up was derived from brewing higher gravity beers than is the case for most beers in Britain.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.