Pressure fermenting lager experiment

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
McMullan

Pressure fermenting lager experiment

Post by McMullan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm

After 5 days at 11-12℃ I wasn't too impressed with how fermentation was going. Way too slow. I'm using WLP800 to ferment a Czech Pilsner with loads of Saaz. So decided to experiment with it, to add a little excitement :D Now fermenting at a noticeably higher rate at 18℃ under about 15psi.
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG (638.42 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
From right to left: FV connected via gas 'out' to sanitised keg via liquid 'in'. The liquid 'in' on the keg has a silicone tube going to the bottom of the keg. (I'll add a keg float after the lager has been transferred.) I've added a Blowtie spunding on the gas 'out' of the keg so that CO2 from the fermentation purges air from the keg and brings it up to equal pressure (as the FV) so transfer just involves simply hooking up a liquid line (a 'jumper') then releasing some pressure from the pressurised keg. I was even entertaining the idea of collecting another keg's worth of CO2, to complete the transfer or even for serving, as I've got some empty kegs at the moment :=P

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Pressure fermenting lager experiment

Post by Cobnut » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Be brave, wind the temperature up a bit more...you can do that quite happily under 1 bar.

My standard lager brew is (all at c.15psi):
1 day @ 18C
1 day @ 20C
1 day @ 22C
2 days @ 24C
then cold crash for a couple of weeks.

Current brew using this method hit FG after less than 3 days. So I probably could've gone straight to cold crash after the 22C stage....perhaps I'll tryb that next time? Lager fermented in 2-3 days...but then worthwhile to cold crash and lager!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm

Which yeast(s) are you using? With WLP833 and WLP940 I get fermentations complete within about a week at low temperatures, 10-12℃. I seal the FV after about 5 days. With WLP800 is was a completely different story, attenuation was about 35% after 5 days. Unless this beer turns out very nice I won't be using WLP800 again. Apparently it's a cold adapted ale yeast rather than a true lager yeast, so likely it performs better at higher temperature. I'll consider ramping it up to 20℃. I'll be aiming to increase the pressure to about 30psi towards the end to get it highly carbonated before lagering at 0 for a week or three.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:18 am

Never tried pressure fermentation, what are the benefits?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:02 am

MashBag wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:18 am
Never tried pressure fermentation, what are the benefits?
The only benefit (especially for my under performing lager fermentation) is speeding up a slow process by allowing higher fermentation temperature without producing off flavors. I’m not convinced it produces better beer. My best lagers so far have been fermented the traditional way.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:34 am

Thanks. That makes sense.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:08 am

I’ve used MJ bohemian lager yeast (dry), but also wyeast 2124.

The former I think gives slightly better results under these conditions, but of course, loads of other factors at play here, so hardly a scientific study!

I find this method works quite well for me.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:24 am

Well that's definitely pushed things down the right pathway. Attenuation now at about 55%. A big change in the rate of fermentation. Doesn't taste terrible at this stage either. Boring, but not terrible. I hope the Saaz come through later. Checked my notes and attenuation was only about 32% after 7 days, not 5. That's pretty slow in my limited experience of fermenting lagers. Anyway, I think I'll increase the temperature to 20℃, just so I can 'get the t-shirt' #-o

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:34 am

Cobnut wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:08 am
I’ve used MJ bohemian lager yeast (dry), but also wyeast 2124.

The former I think gives slightly better results under these conditions, but of course, loads of other factors at play here, so hardly a scientific study!

I find this method works quite well for me.
That makes sense. Yeast that survive the commercial drying process are likely to be more stress tolerant therefore cope better with these stressful conditions under pressure. Not sure I'd opt for dry yeast personally, though. And to be fair I have had very good results using WLP833 and WLP940 under pressure. Yeast are generally very hardy so should be fine under 15psi. I think I've got enough volume to transfer a few litres into a mini keg before increasing the pressure to 30psi, which should make an interesting comparison if it ruins the beer.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:43 am

Transfer to keg was very straightforward. Just changed one disconnect, connected to the liquid-out post and purged CO2 from the keg occasionally. So simple I was convinced I'd forgot something.
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG (629.82 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Beer was fizzy and bright after cold crashing when FG reached.
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG (716.95 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
The wife (who prefers lager) thought it was nice. It's not bad, but I'm hoping it gets better after some weeks lagering in my unfinished keezer.
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG (832.27 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:37 pm

The observant among yous might have noticed the glass used to sample my experimental lager boasts the CAMRA logo. Purely random and mainly because I most likely stumbled home one night from a beer festival, clutching a pint in my hand. Like a lager lout! There was no premeditated dishonesty on my behalf. Honest. Anyway, it got me thinking about how CAMRA might view my lager. It’s a live, naturally conditioned beer fermented with real yeast, right? So I thought I’d look up CAMRA’s website for any views expressed about lager. I was half expecting to be brutally accused of storing kegs of ‘piss’ in my basement, but I didn’t find any views expressed about lager at all. I found this elsewhere, though.

Jer
Tippler

Post by Jer » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi McMullan
What scales are you using to gauge the corny weight during transfer? I like your set up

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:24 pm

I like the fermenter. I am having 2 30 liter kegs built like this atm. having 2 50mm ferrules added to the side to be able to fit a thermowell and a sampling tap too. When fermenting will the gas coming off the fermenter fully fill the corney keg.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:20 am

john luc wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:24 pm
I like the fermenter. I am having 2 30 liter kegs built like this atm. having 2 50mm ferrules added to the side to be able to fit a thermowell and a sampling tap too. When fermenting will the gas coming off the fermenter fully fill the corney keg.
Yes, no problem. I reckon you could fill several kegs.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 am

Jer wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:52 pm
Hi McMullan
What scales are you using to gauge the corny weight during transfer? I like your set up
Very cheap and cheerful. Got mine a couple years ago for about 17 quid. Not a precision instrument, of course, but good enough to measure 20kg beer.