Burton Water Crystals

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
moorsd

Burton Water Crystals

Post by moorsd » Wed May 24, 2006 5:17 pm

Just ordered some from Hop & Grape as I'm brewing an IPA on Friday.

First time I'd have used these (normally use Brupaks DLS) but due to my water being fairly soft (once it has been boiled anyway...starts of moderatly hard!) I wanted to see if using them does make a difference?

I presume there are instructions on how much to add given the water chemistry as with DLS, if not anyone got any ideas? (my water hardness is 260 p.p.m CaCO3)

....would be much easier if I lived in Burton-on-trent :D

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Thu May 25, 2006 12:03 am

All my water goes through a RO filter, which makes the water PH 7.0, solids 5ppm.
Then I give the six gallons 25ml (5 tsp) of BWS and 5ml (1 tsp) of gypsum, which makes it PH 6.0 and 450ppm solids.

If I were using your water, I'd use 10ml of BWS, but don't mistake me for someone who knows anything about water chemistry, because I don't have a clue :bonk

tribs

Post by tribs » Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am

I have very soft water and I have used BWS.

I believe it is mainly gypsum with a little epsom salts and a tiny bit of sodium I can't remember the exact proportions. I used promash to give differentials between my water and Burtons and used it to calculate how much to add.

I have done a couple of IPA's this way and they were excellent. My IPA's without BWS were great also but were brewed with extract so I cannot make a proper comparison. Next time I brew a full mash IPA I'm going to try it without them.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu May 25, 2006 11:07 am

The sulphate content of Burton water is abnormally high and sulphates have a laxative effect so I think I'll follow DaaB's lead and not try to emulate other regions water makeup :D

moorsd

Post by moorsd » Thu May 25, 2006 11:49 am

QUOTE (andy @ May 25 2006, 10:07 AM) sulphates have a laxative effect so I think I'll follow DaaB's lead and not try to emulate other regions water makeup

Just popped to the shops to get some Epsom Salts...was a little concerned when the packet I got from boots said, "To relieve occasional Constipation"!!

Gonna be a great combination...in traditional Indian style....Vindaloo washed down with a pint or two of home brewed IPA. My arse is going to take some punishment by the sounds of it!! :blink: :lol:

Hop & Grape haven't come through with the BWS so have gone down the Pro Mash route, first time trying it this way so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the advice guys, tip top as usual!

Right, now off to do some brewing! :D