hydrometer/ph paper/tincture of lodine/gravity s.G

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
mr.c

hydrometer/ph paper/tincture of lodine/gravity s.G

Post by mr.c » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:10 pm

I now have brewed many Beers from allGrain to Extract and not bothered with the use of hydrometer/ph paper/tincture of lodine/gravity s.G
all have turned out well BUT NOW is the time TO Learn ,
any help on a good book or info on this would be tops.

:wink:

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:14 am

Personally I have never bothered about the Ph of my water. I doubt I ever will (unless I move to somewhere that has a radically different water supply!)

I never do the Iodine starch test but this is because I batch sparge so the test is useless to me anyway!

In fact the only thing I really do is take my Refractometer/Hydrometer readings.

I use a refractometer during the boil as it automatically adjusts for temperature (you only need a single drop so it cools quickly enough anyway) and the Hydrometer when my wort is in ther fermenter.

Using a hydrometer is really simple. You need a sample tube and a hydrometer.

Draw off a sample (this is where a tap becomes useful on your fermenter) and put the hydrometer in. I give my a twirl to displace as many bubbles as possible. When the hydro has come to rest you look at the value at liquid level. This is your reading.

Reading taken before adding yeast is your OG (Original Gravity) )reading taken when fermentation has completed is your FG (Final Gravity).

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:51 am

PieOPah wrote:P
I never do the Iodine starch test but this is because I batch sparge so the test is useless to me anyway!
Why is it useless if you batch sparge? An iodine test tells whether the mash has finished converting. It should have nothing to do with your sparge method.

I've never done a iodine test either. I just leave my mash for an hour and trust it's done by then....

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:56 am

I thought it was to test that you had finished extracting whilst sparging....

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Well it is possible if you oversparge to extract some fresh starch, but that can be overcome as the enzymes are still active in the kettle until the temperature is hot enough to denature them. It is one advantage of waiting until all the wort is collected before starting to heat to a boil.

Generally the iodine test is used to tell if the mash is complete.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:59 pm

PieOPah wrote:I thought it was to test that you had finished extracting whilst sparging....
PoP - have a read of the Palmer text on this bit.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-5.html

The Conversion check is performed on a sample from the mash to determine when all the starch has been converted and it's "safe" to start runoff/sparge.

As with most others on here I don't bother with an iodine check, a set time determines how long I mash for (90mins or 120mins for my Xmas brew).
Dan!