campden tablet

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
DRB

campden tablet

Post by DRB » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:56 am

I,m not going to mess with the water today as it's my first go ,i'm just going to see how it turns out like,but what I would like to do is rid the chlorine /chloromines,as my filter didn't arrive I need to use something else I read somewhere on the old forum about adding a campden tablet,what I want to know is how much and to what volume of water.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:06 am

I did this with my water for today's brew.

I used 1/2 a tablet in 5gal of water, which I believe is the recommended quantity - Daab will correct me if I'm wrong.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:03 pm

I think Campden Tablets are more or less sodium metabisulphite that has been compressed into tablet form. Not sure how much sodium met to use though instead of the tablets.

I use the same 1/2 tablet as Jim in 5 gallons of water.

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:26 pm

They lift the fixed chlorine from the water, either a tablet or powdered MBS will do the same job... ;)

Chloromine is a mild bleach used in the photographic and paper manufacture industries. If you have it in your water supply complain to your water company immediately as it is an industrial by-product. ;) Chloramine on the other hand is used by water companies to fix chlorine in drinking water... :D

I'd refer you to my pious rant in the archives, but having re-read it I posted the forula for chlorethanamine when trying to illustrate the difference, so never trust a chemist. :twisted:

This wkipedia article should be helpful though... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine