My brew smells very gassy help?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
BigBrewWill

Re: My brew smells very gassy help?

Post by BigBrewWill » Thu May 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Matt/Orlando it is not a gas hob smell, I will try the beer in a glass for a hour, I'll get back to you,The gassy smell has left a taste in the beer, again i tasted the beer after fermentation all was great with it,

I have been AG brewing one and off but the last brews where kits i got for xmas, The gassy smell/taste is only on AG.

Again thanks,

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:59 pm

You could do what boingy suggests, crack the cap open, let all the gas escape and then re-gas with CO2. I usually do this if I have hydrogen sulphide still coming off my beer. Still a bit unsure as to what you are describing though?
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Do you get a decent boil?
Do you add any salts to your mash and boil.
How do you transfer your mash runnings to your boiler?

Ive had a weird taste in quite a few of my beers, i could taste it when i burped!
I updated my process by minimising splashing on the hot side by using a solar pump to transfer run off to the boiler, instead of dumping it in and churning it up.
Id say your beer is becoming stale early and this is what you are tasting.
I could be wrong!
Just some ideas for you to ponder.

Cheers

Chris.

BigBrewWill

Post by BigBrewWill » Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi Chris
the boil was slow to get to boil but it was a good boil ( I think), I didn't add any salts, I transfered my mash by useing my mash tunn tap, ( I think i used a muslin cloth to filter the bits out) could this make the brew go bad,

thanks

Adam

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Thu May 16, 2013 10:49 pm

I wouldn't like to say!
On your next brew try not to splash the runnings from the mash tun to the boiler - i added some pipe from the tap on the mash tun to the bottom of my collection bucket- i then pump that through the tap on my boiler(no splashing!)
I also added an extra element to my boiler.
Do you bottle or keg? Do you transfer to a secondary fermenter? How long do you leave you beer in the fermenter?
I also use bru n water spreadsheet to calculate salt additions and it estimates the ph.

I think your transferring technique is causing some hot side aeration.
Since using a solar pump, i havent had any more of that weird taste.
Like i said i was taking the runnings from my mash tun and tipping them into the boiler causing all sorts of slashing and churning up of the wort.

Cheers,

Chris.

I think with your kits u have brewed there is no hot side splashing really and thats prob why it hasnt staled.

BigBrewWill

Post by BigBrewWill » Fri May 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks Chris

I will try again. I will get some clear pipe and keep the wort air free best i can.
I keg my beer, i find that its better for me keeping the beer clean (not cloudy). I do transfer to a secondary fermenter after the airlock stops.

I'm going to install second heat element to my mash tun to help with the boil.

Can i ask about yeast i have used lots of yeast never really settled on a good one, I have use liquid yeast, harvest ( saved ) my own from old brews, i used Safale s-04 on this brew is this ok?

Again thanks for your help
Adam

TC2642

Post by TC2642 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:33 pm

NOZ wrote:
I think your transferring technique is causing some hot side aeration.
Since using a solar pump, i havent had any more of that weird taste.
Like i said i was taking the runnings from my mash tun and tipping them into the boiler causing all sorts of slashing and churning up of the wort.
Not convinced by the hot side aeration argument, I just let my runnings go directly from tap to bucket and bucket to boiler, never had a problem with gassy/off tasting beer, even for big beers like RIS.
Fermenting -!
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:04 pm

HSA on a home brew scale with domestic malts does not seem to be worth worrying about.

Source: this thread

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Ive heard different - but lets not get into a massive debate about it as its been covered on various threads.
Im just saying what has worked for me - ive also improved other stuff including mash ph - boil - and got a better thermometer for measuring mash temp.

I listen to a lot of the shows on the brewing network and they (john palmer and jamil) believe that splashing about your wort above 60 can lead to premature staling.
Since ive started pumping my wort from vessel to vessel ive not had any of those off tastes.
Its just my opinion and its worked for me!
Its worth a try and at the cost of a meter of hose i think its worth it.
If this doesnt work feel free to lynch and burn me for mentioning hsa.

TC2642

Post by TC2642 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:48 pm

NOZ wrote:Ive heard different - but lets not get into a massive debate about it as its been covered on various threads.
Im just saying what has worked for me - ive also improved other stuff including mash ph - boil - and got a better thermometer for measuring mash temp.

I listen to a lot of the shows on the brewing network and they (john palmer and jamil) believe that splashing about your wort above 60 can lead to premature staling.
Since ive started pumping my wort from vessel to vessel ive not had any of those off tastes.
Its just my opinion and its worked for me!
Its worth a try and at the cost of a meter of hose i think its worth it.
If this doesnt work feel free to lynch and burn me for mentioning hsa.
If it works for you that's fine, I would say it hasn't for me, but BigBrewWill should give it a go to see if there is a noticeable difference. As you say, matter of opinion.
Fermenting -!
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA

BigBrewWill

Post by BigBrewWill » Sat May 18, 2013 10:05 am

I will try anything in reason a extra bit of pipe and a new kettle element from eBay is fine.
I just feel the problem is some where in my AG brews, But try try again.
At this moment the gassy smell is going in the bin,

5 weeks in the bin lol i could cry,

BigBrewWill

Post by BigBrewWill » Fri May 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi All

Just a up date on smell, I have come to the concussion that its a infection, I'm going to get rid of this brew, I have updated my boiling pot with a new element, also some new clear piping to move the wort about, new ball taps ( the old one where second hand anyway ), New cleaning gear, I'm also going to have ago at water treatment ( getting the PH Level to 5 ish to start with).

Thanks for you help
Adam

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Fri May 24, 2013 10:08 pm

No probs, make sure you have sanitised your boiler tap before you run off to the fermenter. Ive also started covering the top of my boiler with cling film whilst cooling (once it gets below 80) to stop any airborne nasties getting in and any drips off the ceiling.
I also cover the fermenter with cling film and run a pipe from the boiler into it - i aerate with a drill with my plastic mash paddle shoved down the side of the cling film.
Just a few more ideas for you to add to your process.
Ive gone overkill really but ive lost quite a few brews lately myself.
Id say your issues are down to the boiler taps!
I pressure cooked mine before my last brew and the water afterwards was disgusting!

Good luck - let us know how ur next brew goes.

BigBrewWill

Post by BigBrewWill » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi All
The problem was found , I have been in a world of beer since June. I have found two problems, Cleaning and rinsing, I have been doing kits over and over again changing one thing then another hoping to fix the problems, I have also change every piece of equipment lol, anyway a light is coming up fast, I have a more information on how not to brew, i could write a book on it. lol
The last problem was yeast been over heated my heat pad. all fixed with a stc-1000,
The problems with me I will never give up, I will make good beer one day lol thanks for all your help your information is priceless
Please remember brewing is not for charismas its for life...