Point of use water filter

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Wirdart

Point of use water filter

Post by Wirdart » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Can anyone suggest what type of water filter to get and where to get it? I have a Brita filter, but would like to get one to fit the tap instead. I dont fancy running 5 gallons through the piddly jug :shock: I tried B&Q, but they didnt have ANY water filters, apart form ones to use on your pond :?

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:05 pm

I use a water gem myself, I got it from here.

Hop and Grape Short LINK

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 pm

I did this:-

http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6865

All from my local B&Q
Dan!

Wirdart

Post by Wirdart » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:29 am

Awesome, cheers guys. I did go to B&Q earlier today, but the lady I asked didnt know of any filters in store. There is a machine mart on the way to my LHBS. Will have to stop by :D

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:46 am

I had a clearance leaflet from Screwfix yesterday, various POU filter items on clearance...

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat ... 9&ts=91841

The reverse osmosis systems are very good if you've got the cash... 8)

Sneezewort

Water Filter

Post by Sneezewort » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:05 pm

I made my own water filter that uses the standard jug type Brita filter fitted to a hose connection. I got fed up with waiting for six or seven gallons to be gravity fed through the filter fitted to the jug lid so sealed a suitably sized plastic cup (of the type used by the roadside cafe) with a hose connection fitted in the bottom. Search around and you will find the right adapter at no cost. You will need to use a suitable breakable sealant between the filter, which has a top diameter recess exactly the same size as many small plastic containers, and the container. You have to be careful with the water pressure, but I manage the initial 3 gallons in a few minutes.
I could take a photo if anyone wants one.

tubby_shaw

Re: Water Filter

Post by tubby_shaw » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Sneezewort wrote:I could take a photo if anyone wants one.
Photos are good 8)

Sneezewort

Water Filter

Post by Sneezewort » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:10 am

Re my post on the 11th in which I state that I used a plastic cup. I now recall it is actually the plastic container from a package of BRUCLEAN 200 grams from my local HB shop. The top of the container fits exactly into the recess in the top of the Brita jug filter. You will need to fit a tank connection to the base of the cup to take a length of hose and seal the join cup/filter - I used blutak! Hold the join together with a bit of duct tape and you get a perfect heath robinson filter for a couple of quid - unless, of course, you just chuck away the Bruclean and don't use it for its proper purpose. It will not take full mains pressure without leaking but is much quicker than gravity.

tubby_shaw

Re: Water Filter

Post by tubby_shaw » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:36 am

Sneezewort wrote:Re my post on the 11th in which I state that I used a plastic cup. I now recall it is actually the plastic container from a package of BRUCLEAN 200 grams from my local HB shop. The top of the container fits exactly into the recess in the top of the Brita jug filter. You will need to fit a tank connection to the base of the cup to take a length of hose and seal the join cup/filter - I used blutak! Hold the join together with a bit of duct tape and you get a perfect heath robinson filter for a couple of quid - unless, of course, you just chuck away the Bruclean and don't use it for its proper purpose. It will not take full mains pressure without leaking but is much quicker than gravity.
Here are the pictures of Sneezwort's design 8)

I hope you don't mind me posting them for the world to see Sneezwort :oops:

Again another good work around solution to a problem 8)

Wirdart

Post by Wirdart » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Wicked. Cheers for the pics and info! Am off to find me some filters then.