Campden Tablets

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
maxashton

Post by maxashton » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:17 am

They wanted a tenner for half a litre of betadine.
Our local chemists are useless. I asked them if they had aqueous standardised betadine solution, and the put a can of dry spray on the counter.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:20 am

Max - go to Boots* and ask for what Steve quoted above. Will cost a shade over £3 for a 500ml bottle. I've had my bottle over a year and it's about half used!

* they will probably have to order it in - usually arrives next day although my local Boots had some in stock when a work colleague asked for it recently.
Dan!

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:22 am

Dan!

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:24 am

How do you dilute this down? With lots of water im guessing.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:11 pm

Hoppkins wrote:How do you dilute this down? With lots of water im guessing.
I think it's 1/2 a teaspoon in a liter of water (That's right isn't it DaaB?)

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:12 pm

maxashton wrote:They wanted a tenner for half a litre of betadine.
Our local chemists are useless. I asked them if they had aqueous standardised betadine solution, and the put a can of dry spray on the counter.
Blimey, I did better at the one's round the corner from work and the counter staff there barely speak English.

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 pm

I'll get some of this then for sterilising my kegs. bottles and bins.

Excellent thanks

Belto
Piss Artist

Post by Belto » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:06 pm

refering to chlorine in the water, I thought this was present as a gas and when poured from a height in to a container or agitated in a serious fashion that the gas escaped from the water. Thus the cause for the smell when pouring.
Similasly when boiling, the gas will evaporated from the water .
I imagine it would be wise to get an accurate answer of how and and what effects that would have on home brewing from the experts i.e local water supply company

Bobwagon

Post by Bobwagon » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:34 pm

Well ive been AG brewing for about 3 or 4 years now and ive never bothered myself with any water treatment at all :oops: ...tho after parousing these forums ive invested in some campden tablets just to see exactly what difference it makes. Hopefully will be able to brew tomorrow so this should be interesting :D if theres much difference i might go a bit further with the water.

Bobwagon

Post by Bobwagon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:25 pm

My beer does have a mild yet distinct "house taste" which im guessing is down to my water. I'll just try changing one thing at a time to see what (if any) makes the greatest difference. I have problems identifying what off tastes are unfortunately due to me being the only person i know that brews :-({|= So the best i can do is read about tastes, not a great substitute imo but much better than nothing.

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:03 pm

So do you add one campden tab to the mash liqour and another to the sparge liquor?

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:53 pm

ah cool, just put a whole one in both mash liquor and sparge liquor.

It's the first time I've used them so we'll see what difference it makes. I'm guessing it would HAVE to make a difference to London water, it always makes me laugh that we all drink 'Thames' water, seems about right :lol:

Bobwagon

Post by Bobwagon » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:24 pm

My first batch using campden tablets should be ready in the next week or two, sampled it earlier today and it is definitely one of the better brews ive done. However i also used nottingham yeast for the first time (as opposed to safale S04) and dry hopped for the first time so i kinda ruined the whole test :lol: Beer had a much more neutral taste than usual when i sampled it during movement to pressure barrel last week. Could this be down to the nottingham yeast as opposed to safale ? as ive read safale does create rather fruity ale compared to other yeats.