Does water affect fementation success?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Chiltern Brewer

Post by Chiltern Brewer » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:13 am

DaaB wrote:Here's a little more info on the ise of sulphites to remove chlorine and chloramine

http://www.craf tbrewing.org.uk/bcpdf/BC0-1_Water.pdf

Good luck with the beer you have on the go, hopefully you will be able to get brewing soon before the warm weather arrives 8)
Thanks DaaB, looks like I downloaded a copy of this a few months ago, but never got round to actually reading it. :roll: Doh!

It backs up what we've been saying very nicely :wink:

This'll probably put the kibosh on it, but it sounds like Si is having more luck now?

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:44 pm

I took a reading and it's (Linthwaite) crept down to 1014 on this day 8, without any real crust or even many bubbles :) , gonna give it another rouse and hopefully between now and Sunday it might creep further.

I tasted the hydro sample and the TCP seems to have gone though not easy to tell 'cos its a bit yeasty from the tap, only drew off 100ml to float hydro. So I'll wait before deciding if that probs solved fully yet.

The wheat beer still has a lovely inch crust 5 days in :D and that's the longest I've seen one. I won't hydro that yet 'til it's lost its crust though. Smells luvverly and wheatey, just like it should 8) .

A positive day on balance. \:D/

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:23 pm

Have bottled the linthwaite at 1014 so we'll see about that. The wheat beer though tasted great at bottling (if flat). Can't wait for that one, and no TCP taste! Looks like the campden did the trick! Thanks Daab.

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Wed May 30, 2007 10:53 pm

UPDATE

I am amazed what there was to learn over the 3 three months I've been homebrewing. You really do only learn from failures. (Optomistic Spin perhaps!)

The Linthwaite light I made was undrinkable, possibly due to my not rinsing VWP enough, I think the yeast really struggled and produced many awful flavours getting down to its final 1014. The WRW was drinkable but still had medicinal twang coming through. I now have into week 2 of an intended minimum 4 week cold conditioning Midas Touch made up with bottled water. Cracked one this evening and although you can taste the yeast (it's not clear or mature enough yet), there is no twang!!! So for me I right now think that at long as I use bottled water (eliminating chlorine/chlorimines) and don't over do the sanitisation (remembering the beer has to sit in the fermenting vessel for up to 14 days absorbing any leftover residue or aroma from cleaning products used) and rinsing many times thoroughly. I can produce beer as the kit was intended.

I really hope the Midas Touch comes good now, having already convinced myself where the faults lie!

And as for the Tripel, that smells like it can look after itself!!! 8)