What if mash pH is too low?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
inthedark
Hollow Legs

What if mash pH is too low?

Post by inthedark » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:16 pm

I might have overdone it with the CRS! The last test I took is lighter than the lightest (5.2) on the test paper. Does something bad happen if you completely overshoot?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:45 pm

Because of my water supply I have that problem all the time; don't worry, though, the only adverse effect is that the maltose/dextrin balance of the wort will be higher - i.e. more maltose, less dextrin, which results in a drier beer at the end of fermentation (maltose is more fermentable).

You can compensate by mashing at a higher temperature (e.g. 67 - 68C and/or for a shorter time.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

inthedark
Hollow Legs

Post by inthedark » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:11 pm

DaaB wrote:That CRS is strong stuff isn't it...its a blend of sulphuric acid and weapons grade nuclear waste
You're not kidding. Got some in a cut on my finger. Oww.

inthedark
Hollow Legs

Post by inthedark » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:29 pm

Jim wrote:You can compensate by mashing at a higher temperature (e.g. 67 - 68C )
I think I ended up doing that anyway - temperature kept creeping up. Handy that it has a positive effect!

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:55 pm

To quote Principals of brewing science
In practical brewing conditions the enzyme activity does not decrease by much if the pH levels are more acid. On the other hand, there is typically a sharp decrease if the pH becomes more alkali.
Frothy