Water Prep - The Night Before?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Wez

Water Prep - The Night Before?

Post by Wez » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Is there any harm in filling my boiler fitting the lid and leaving it tonight ready to boil in the morning? Just to save a bit of time?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:18 pm

That's my usual method. 8)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Wez - saves time on brewday, if I'm organised then I'll prepare the liquor the evening before brewing. Doesn't happen that often though :D
Dan!

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:56 pm

Good plan. What I do is prepare all the liquor I'm going to need the night before in the boiler - about 52L, treat it with a campden tab or two and far too much CRS so it's way too acidic, then set the £3.50 Ikea mains timer switch so that the boiler comes on 75 mins before I get up - usually very early in the afternoon. Next day, I come downstairs, check temperature, and get going. Saves shedloads of time which I then use to correct my cocked up water treatment. ](*,)

Works for me. :lol:

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:03 pm

This is something I had always planned on doing but for some reason never quite got round to.

Sunday was the first time I had prepared everything the night before. Water was in the boiler with timer set to 6:00am

Grain was all weighed out.

Fair enough, I was up before the timer but I was still able to potter round the house and have my morning coffee while the water was heating up.

Having everything ready the night before helped make things run much smoother for me.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:48 pm

I think by using a timer switch is probably the best time saver if you plan on brewing early. Water can be at temp by the time you get up :)

My timer is set to switch off after an hour so that if I do over sleep the water isn't going to boil away like crazy....

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 pm

I do the timer switch thing, great simple tip I picked up off this forum. It also makes you think about cleaning your equipment the night before and setting it up which saves even more time. Makes the brew day much more enjoyable.

I don't bother with CRS or campden tabs though because i've got good water */gloat*.

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:15 pm

I've started using the hot water supply from my combi boiler, to fill my HLT 8)

Cuts at least 30 min of the boil time :wink:

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:58 am

SteveD wrote: then set the £3.50 Ikea mains timer switch
have you got the details of the timer switch you (and maybe others) use.
i have one and it always trips out after about 15-20mins :-(
i am using a kettle element

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Yeah I'm after a new timer as mine has packed up complaining of over use abuse. £3.50 Ikea sounds favourite - can anyone beat that :?:

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:05 pm

Bigster wrote:Yeah I'm after a new timer as mine has packed up complaining of over use abuse. £3.50 Ikea sounds favourite - can anyone beat that :?:
I'm pretty sure I bought mine for just under 3 quid at pound stretcher (a national chain?) :wink:

Edit - As someone who's been to IKEA recently I'd also advise avoiding it, unless you fancy a world of arrows and being forced to walk every square inch of the shop only to find what you wanted is out of stock :evil:

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:44 pm

bitter_dave wrote:
Bigster wrote:Yeah I'm after a new timer as mine has packed up complaining of over use abuse. £3.50 Ikea sounds favourite - can anyone beat that :?:
I'm pretty sure I bought mine for just under 3 quid at pound stretcher (a national chain?) :wink:

Edit - As someone who's been to IKEA recently I'd also advise avoiding it, unless you fancy a world of arrows and being forced to walk every square inch of the shop only to find what you wanted is out of stock :evil:
Aaahh, Dave, you know not the secret ways and shortcuts, and when to go, to avoid the misery. ;) The timer is called 'Tanda' - works a treat. Rated at 3120w max

subsub

Post by subsub » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:08 am

Tesco £3.47 and no it's not a "value" one :D