using RO water

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Wolfy

Re: using RO water

Post by Wolfy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 pm

dazer23866 wrote:
It's just ratios, the ratio of the water-mix compared to how much of that element is in the water.
Thanks Wolfy but i can understand that, but what I dont understand is what makes good brewing water for the beers that I brew, so if I was to dilute I would be still none the wiser to what is better, having a higher percentage of one mineral or a lower percentage of another
Sorry, I misunderstood ... the topic what's appropriate for brewing water is (apparently) going to be the subject of a new book to go with the recently published 'Yeast' book - so it's not something answered as easily as the ratios I outlined above. ;)

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood
lol I don't think you miss understood I just find it hard to get across what I am saying, I would be lost without things like spell check #-o

cant wait for that book, if it is as good as the yeast book it will be amazing even though its taking time to get my head around it, I have taken some useful stuff out of it

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Well thanks to reading this thread and Orlando`s post (I`m sure some forum members like to spend my money ;) ) I`m going to try RO water with the Vyair system. At least it will stop me thinking about my "snap shot water analysis" now 9 months ish out of date.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:19 am

well I think I am going try the water calc on here, dial in 0 for everything and point it towards bitter as I have a dark beer to be brewed this weekend and see how it goes, if its good ill stick with it

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:04 am

Wolfy wrote:
dazer23866 wrote:
It's just ratios, the ratio of the water-mix compared to how much of that element is in the water.
Thanks Wolfy but i can understand that, but what I dont understand is what makes good brewing water for the beers that I brew, so if I was to dilute I would be still none the wiser to what is better, having a higher percentage of one mineral or a lower percentage of another
Sorry, I misunderstood ... the topic what's appropriate for brewing water is (apparently) going to be the subject of a new book to go with the recently published 'Yeast' book - so it's not something answered as easily as the ratios I outlined above. ;)

What book is this?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am

orlando wrote:What book is this?
Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers
Amazon says its due out next year.

(AFIK a 'Malt' book will also be added to the series in the future).

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:02 am

Wolfy wrote:
orlando wrote:What book is this?
Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers
Amazon says its due out next year.

(AFIK a 'Malt' book will also be added to the series in the future).
Agh, yes, I wondered whether you meant him. I saw YouTube video in which he mentioned it.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer