Treatment Calculator - Lager Problem

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
danwlx

Treatment Calculator - Lager Problem

Post by danwlx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning a marzen this week and so am using the lager target liquor on the calculator. However I get a message that the target liquor cannot be matched with current sulphate and chloride values.

I've looked at the calculator notes but am still unsure how to resolve this. For ref my values are:

Alkalinity - 17 CaCO3
Calcium - 20.43
Magnesium - 3.200
Sodium - 10.11
Carbonate - 10.19
Sulphate - 49.72
Chloride 18.66

In terms of carbonate reduction I use none, however I do use campden tablets so am unsure how this affects things.

As you can probably tell from the above, water treatment is a little confusing for me so al help is gratefully received!

Cheers
Dan

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Treatment Calculator - Lager Problem

Post by Eric » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Only a little confusing? I'm no chemist, but think it's more than that.
Using your figures to feed GW's calculator, it looks as though your water isn't far off what you're wanting.
You won't need to reduce carbonate, if anything, you might consider marginally increasing it.
If you need campden tablets to eliminate chlorine et al, take care. I tend to think overuse has ruined more beer than they have saved, but at a sufficient quantity shouldn't upset your calculations.
It appears your water has too much sulphate and too little chloride for it to be thought ideal for lager, the sodium will leave little chloride for calcium.

Can I suggest you do the sums again by slightly varying the chloride and sulphate figures?
How sure are you of the given figures? Are they those given by the water company?
I'd nip down the supermarket and look for some bottled water with less sulphate and sodium but more alkalinity and chloride, then see what you'd get with a 10 to 25% mix of bottled water to tap water. Then I'd probably brew using tap water with results from the slightly doctored input figures.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

danwlx

Post by danwlx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks Eric,

The figures are from the local water company, but by reducing the sulphate level to 48 the warning disappears. Now I'm guessing that this change is well within the normal fluctuations if my water supply,

So unless anyone can see an issue I may use this doctored sulphate figure and use the suggested additions.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm

The only issue I can see is the accuracy of the water company's figures. I know my water varies day to day, not necessarily much, but often more than the adjustment you made to bring yours within bounds.
Enjoy the brewing.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.