Campden tablet AFTER mashing

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
frosti2k2

Campden tablet AFTER mashing

Post by frosti2k2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi all,

I have made a possible error with Campden tablet usage. I usually add a tablet to my mash and sparge water before I conduct the mash to reduce chloramines, however I have forgotten to add a tablet this time and done the mash without it.

Now ive got my brewpot full of wort and ready to boil. should I now add my Camden tablet to reduce chloramines or is it now too late / risk having a flavour or quality impact if used at this stage?

Thoughts please ?

Cheers
Matt

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Campden tablet AFTER mashing

Post by orlando » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:43 pm

frosti2k2 wrote:Hi all,

I have made a possible error with Campden tablet usage. I usually add a tablet to my mash and sparge water before I conduct the mash to reduce chloramines, however I have forgotten to add a tablet this time and done the mash without it.

Now ive got my brewpot full of wort and ready to boil. should I now add my Camden tablet to reduce chloramines or is it now too late / risk having a flavour or quality impact if used at this stage?

Thoughts please ?

Cheers
Matt
There are some (GW? :D ) that would argue it's a complete waste of time. I wouldn't worry about it, treat it as an experiment. You can be our test bed :D .
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:45 pm

I normally add campden at the equivalent of 1 tablet per 50L water used .

So 1/2 tablet dissolved in wort pre-boil will not do any harm and may reduce chloramines (which boiling doesn't remove)
Any residual SO2 will boil off and not affect fermentation.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Many brewers have conviction that campden is essential, so it is written in to my procedure. I've not noticed any difference on those occasions when I remember.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

jmc

Post by jmc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Eric wrote:Many brewers have conviction that campden is essential, so it is written in to my procedure. I've not noticed any difference on those occasions when I remember.

I think it depends on the quality of the tap water you have.
Mine is awful. I could smell the chlorine in it last week and I've got a poor sense of smell.

It may be overkill for some with better water, but its easy to do and causes no harm, so I add it.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:51 am

jmc wrote:

I think it depends on the quality of the tap water you have.
Mine is awful. I could smell the chlorine in it last week and I've got a poor sense of smell.

It may be overkill for some with better water, but its easy to do and causes no harm, so I add it.
Absolutely. It's too easy for the likes of myself to assume other water supplies are similar, compounded with no experience of how effective Campden tablets might be in solving that problem. However, I do think there are periods when chlorine becomes the universal cause of all brewing problems and Campden the universal cure.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

gregorach
Under the Table

Post by gregorach » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 pm

frosti2k2 wrote:Hi all,

Thoughts please ?

Cheers
Matt
Chuck it in. It certainly won't cause any harm, and the reactions you're really worried about are between the chlorine and the phenols in the hops.

EDIT: oops, I didn't realise how old this was...
Cheers

Dunc