High chloride level after using CRS.

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: High chloride level after using CRS.

Post by orlando » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Mr. Dripping wrote:Just in case anyone following this discussion is interested.....I brewed on Saturday evening and with the new water treatment that I worked through and my resulting wort smells very good indeed. No hint of the nasty harsh phenolics that have plagued a few brews before Christmas :D
Tested my alkalinity at 120ppm - Murphys test report 125ppm........and I know my water can be variable.
Bru 'n Water calculated that I use 0.12ml/l of 75% phosphoric. Mash and sparge salts were a mixture of gypsum and calcium chloride that gave a sulphate to chloride ratio of 1:2.1.
I added a third of the sparge salts before topping up the mash tun for my first batch sparge run off and added the remaining two thirds with the second lot of sparge water.

I would have liked to check the mash pH, but my pH meter decided to give up the ghost last week and I still haven't decided on a replacement yet.....will be interested to take a few readings next brew, but things are heading in the right direction.
What style of beer were you brewing, this is usually what decides for me what is a suitable ratio for sulphate:chloride.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Pale ale 1052 OG, bittered to 44 IBU.
I set the Bru 'n Water profile to bitter, less than 7 SRM

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:40 am

Mr. Dripping wrote:Pale ale 1052 OG, bittered to 44 IBU.
I set the Bru 'n Water profile to bitter, less than 7 SRM
In which case I would be looking for a 2 or 3:1 sulphate to chloride ratio to give the hops a chance to shine.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Just to keep things updated.
I transferred 42 litres of beer in to secondaries yesterday and things are looking up. No sign of the harsh/astringent/phenol taste....it smells and tastes good =D>
The brewday was far from perfect either, missed my mash temp by 2 degrees and it started lashing down right at the end of the boil/steep.....in the end I had to drop it in to the FV at 80 degrees and let it cool overnight before pitching yeast.

orlando, I note your comments on the ratio and I will give your suggestion a go when I brew the same recipe again in a few weeks.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 am

I've started to consume the above mentioned batch and I'm very happy with the result of the water treatment that I used. The beer is excellent and there is no astringency or harsh mineral taste. I would have liked the hops to be a bit more forward, so I will up the sulphate a touch as orlando suggests when I brew a similar recipe this weekend.

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:37 am

Mr. Dripping wrote:I've started to consume the above mentioned batch and I'm very happy with the result of the water treatment that I used. The beer is excellent and there is no astringency or harsh mineral taste. I would have liked the hops to be a bit more forward, so I will up the sulphate a touch as orlando suggests when I brew a similar recipe this weekend.
=D> Good to hear it worked out. Bet you learned quite a bit with this brew.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Yes orlando, I learned a lot. Some quite difficult text book reading and an understanding of Bru 'n Water has made a great deal of difference. My new pH meter is here now and I'm looking forward to my brew this weekend so I can implement a few tweeks and take some pH readings :)