salifert test with ams

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
danb

salifert test with ams

Post by danb » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:09 pm

I've just tested the AMS I have. I used grahams water calculator yesterday for my first brew with water treatment, but didn't retest once added. I've just done a 1l test. Which was 79.5 as caco3 to start with then the calculator said to add 0.3ml and when retested came out at 45 caco3 is this right?
Thanks

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: salifert test with ams

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 am

1ml of AMS will convert 183ppm of alkalinity measured in terms of CaCO3 into sulphate and chloride flavouring ions. 0.3ml will therefore convert 55mg. Your findings are 34.5 ppm.
This order of discrepancy is not uncommon, although I've no experience of AMS being inconsistent in this respect. Your findings confirm the importance of testing alkalinity after treatment if accuracy is considered to be important.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

danb

Post by danb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 am

I will test again today to be sure though.
A few things I think may be wrong. I forgot to shake the indicator bottle 1st.
The drop sizes seem to vary slightly (not sure if that's a problem)
After adding AMS to jug of water only stirred for 10secs at most with end of syringe. Is this enough to mix in and get a true reading?
Took reading straight away. Does it need any time to work?
Thanks

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 am

danb wrote:I will test again today to be sure though.
A few things I think may be wrong. I forgot to shake the indicator bottle 1st.
The drop sizes seem to vary slightly (not sure if that's a problem)
After adding AMS to jug of water only stirred for 10secs at most with end of syringe. Is this enough to mix in and get a true reading?
Took reading straight away. Does it need any time to work?
Thanks
In the past there has been concern expressed that the indicator might slightly influence the result, but for all practical purposes this can be safely ignored.
10 seconds is vastly insufficient, it may take several minutes for all the acid to distribute and react with components that form what we call alkalinity. Even after this point, there may be places where the acid has depleted all alkalinity and others where it had not reached such that you could get more than one answer. Give it time amd stir well with a plastic spoon or something similar. Depending upon what equipment you have, weighing a kilogram of water may be a more accurate method than measuring a 1 litre volume.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

danb

Post by danb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 pm

That's a good sign then I think. I'll do the test again stirring properly and for longer.

danb

Post by danb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Pheww, thanks for the help Eric.
Just retested giving a good stir for about 5 minutes.
Used 0.25ml in a litre and got 46mg reduction with a reported value of 48mg on the tech sheet. So close enough.
Cheers.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Great, so now you can have confidence in the kit, confidence in AMS and most important of all, confidence in your findings. Next step an all pale malt Brew?
Drop the alkalinity down to 25ppm. 90 min mash starting at 67C and do the best you can to get clear wort. Boil the living daylights out of it for all of 90 minutes with some bittering hops and then drop in enough aroma hops to tickle your fancy just before the end. Ferment it with as much care as you can and chill or cool it for a day or two once primary is complete in about 4 days before casking it if possible. Test daily with self restraint.

danb

Post by danb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:32 pm

The worry was after brewing a pilsner Monday with 15ppm and not checking if it was down enough. That's sat in a fridge atm and this weekend I'll be knocking up an APA with cascade, celeia and Willamette additions.
Cheers