Is it worth playing arround?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
boff

Is it worth playing arround?

Post by boff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 pm

I've got fairly soft water according to the water company the hardness as CaCO3 is 71.47, the chloride is 14 mg/ml and magnesium is 2.87mg/ml. I have measured the alkalinity and I am getting around 34 mg/ml as CaCO3. So my first question do these figures seem credible?

Second question is it worth making additions based on Graham's water calculator as my next brew is going to be a porter?

Third and final question I am brewing using full volume biab so to get 23l into the fermenter I need approximately 38l to start with. Do I make the salts addition based upon the 38 or 23 litre volume?

Thanks for reading :D

Belter

Re: Is it worth playing arround?

Post by Belter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 pm

I'd get your water tested professionally for starters.

Make additions to total water.

Yes definitely worth it

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Like Lee said :) get an analysis from murphys and then I'd say get to grips with brew n water. One day I intend on fully understanding water chemistry like others on here but for making great beer all you need is brew n water or another calculator on the web
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

boff

Post by boff » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will get a pot sent to Murphys

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 am

mozza wrote:for making great beer all you need is brew n water or another calculator on the web
No, All the calculators make assumptions or rely on other reported assumptions.

What Boff needs to do for his porter is to increase his alkalinity (using sodium bicarbonate say around 2-3g in 20L), then increase his calcium by adding a tsp of gypsum to the mash and a tsp of calcium chloride to the boil. That should give him a reasonable flavour profile for a porter . . . If it's not to his taste then vary the ratio of gypsum to calcium chloride the next time he brews a porter / dark beer

Ren
Piss Artist

Post by Ren » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:13 am

I would suggest to get a alkalinity salifert test kit and calcium salifert test kit or send your water specimen to murphy and sons for analysis. I wouldn't rely on water company analysis because it can change often.
If you get analysis from m&s you can adjust your alkalinity + adjust suphate/chloride ratio according to style. Personally I use brew n water.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Also just to note that if your supplier has a grid system like ours the sample you test or send off may bear little resemblance to what you brew with. Salifert test every time you brew, in my case!

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:27 am

Aleman wrote:
mozza wrote:for making great beer all you need is brew n water or another calculator on the web
No, All the calculators make assumptions or rely on other reported assumptions.

What Boff needs to do for his porter is to increase his alkalinity (using sodium bicarbonate say around 2-3g in 20L), then increase his calcium by adding a tsp of gypsum to the mash and a tsp of calcium chloride to the boil. That should give him a reasonable flavour profile for a porter . . . If it's not to his taste then vary the ratio of gypsum to calcium chloride the next time he brews a porter / dark beer
They might make assumptions but they work. Especially if your just looking to brew and don't have the time to fully get your head around water chemistry/treatment calculations
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 am

Belter wrote:I'd get your water tested professionally for starters.

Make additions to total water.
If you're thinking of Murphy & Son for testing, then Calcium Sulphate and Calcium Chloride Flake additions are based on brew length, not total liquor.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget