Using Filtered Water

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
chris172
Piss Artist

Using Filtered Water

Post by chris172 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am

Getting a new Fridge/Freezer for the kitchen and it's going to be plumbed in and have filtered water. Is this any good for brewing or should I still treat it? although it would be an unknown as opposed to mains which I have a report for.

TIA
All the gear with no idea...
Braumeister 20L - NOW SOLD

AnthonyUK

Re: Using Filtered Water

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Depending on the type of filter used which are normally just active carbon, these will only remove chlorine so you'll still need to make adjustments.
It is cheaper to treat chlorine with campden powder though so not really worth it.
If the filter is also ion exchange e.g. removes carbonates, you'll need to know the content of the post filtered water before deciding what is required.

killer
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by killer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:03 pm

It will probably be an activated charcoal filter which as AnthonyUK says, will remove chlorine, solid precipitates and also any organic compounds in the water. It won't have any effect on salt concentrations (chloride, sulfate etc...)

If it has an ion exchange resin - it most likely WON'T reduce the alkalinity of your water - what they usually do is exchange the Calcium for Sodium (or potassium) so that the carbonates become more soluble and won't precipitate on heating. This can have an effect on the flavour of the beer if you have hard water due to the increased sodium - it also strips the calcium and magnesium out.

Check exactly which type it is. I would suggest that an active carbon filter can only be a good thing. In any case, I would do a salifert test on your post-filtered water.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:26 pm

I use a 3 stage filter, which includes a active carbon type that will be on your fridge.

It has no effect PH, it's just removes chlorine, sediment, pesticides and heavy metals amongst other things.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel