Help - hard Surrey water causing astringency etc

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Matt12398

Re: Help - hard Surrey water causing astringency etc

Post by Matt12398 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Do you think Paul will reply or is he really busy?

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Just did a little test using Martins Program and its giving me 1ml of 80% Lactic will neutralise 536 per litre so there or there abouts.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Matt12398 wrote:Do you think Paul will reply or is he really busy?
Murphy's would never seem to be in any hurry to correct their disastersheets.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Charles1968

Post by Charles1968 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Norstar, your water should be great for making beers with a lot of melanoidins from well kilned malts - Oktoberfest, Vienna lager, darker Belgian beers. If you match the beer to the water you shouldn't need to add chemicals.

For pale beers you need to treat the water or replace it with soft mineral water. Boiling is another option but you have to put back the calcium if you do that.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:37 am

AnthonyUK wrote:Tesco value is not the same as Ashbeck which hasn't changed in years AFAIK.
That's right, but wasn't the link that the OP was pointed to for the Tesco Value water? Or did I get that wrong?
Best wishes

Dave

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:54 am

Dave S wrote:That's right, but wasn't the link that the OP was pointed to for the Tesco Value water? Or did I get that wrong?
Oh I see what you mean :oops:
There is a link in the thread to a pdf - http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/137448/ ... survey.pdf
Page 25 has some data for the various Tesco water.

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:41 am

Tesco Value water is the same as Asda smart price water - it is mains water and both come from Yorkshire water company where they filter it to remove crap etc. It is then sent to Princes foods in Bradford who further process it. I would not use these waters due to the differing sources as you can't be reasonably sure what the sulphate and calcium levels are.

If you are going to use mineral water, use Tesco Ashbeck or Asda Eden Falls (both from the same source) and adjust calcium/chloride/sulphate levels accordingly.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:16 pm

AnthonyUK wrote:
Dave S wrote:That's right, but wasn't the link that the OP was pointed to for the Tesco Value water? Or did I get that wrong?
Oh I see what you mean :oops:
There is a link in the thread to a pdf - http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/137448/ ... survey.pdf
Page 25 has some data for the various Tesco water.
That's a useful link mate, hadn't spotted it in the original, thanks.
Best wishes

Dave

norstar

Post by norstar » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Dave S wrote:
Don't trust the Tesco Value water, it changes like the wind. I treated a brew a while back based on that analysis and it turned out that the alkalinity in it was near as damn it the same as my own tap water, (high) - result - complete cock up. As Eric mentioned above you could save yourself a whole load of pain by getting an alkalinity test kit and measuring each and every brew.
That might explain why a few brews back, I tried using Asda smart price water to try and eliminate reasons for bad brews and astringency and found no big difference. Turns out that was actually disguised tapwater according to the newspaper...

I've used either a combination of boiled water and Tesco's ashbeck, or just Ashbeck recently and although the beers are currently conditioning, early impressions are of a significantly different beer with no astringency. The pH seems lower as well generally.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:20 am

Just my 2p worth, water is water, it's just some has more dissolved minerals in it, I was listening to a brewing podcast the other year. About water chemistry, the info I got out of the show was, get a water report, then use RO Water to bring down those high minerals in a ratio ie if you add 25% RO then all the minerals will have dropped by 25%, then add only if you need to any other minerals that have been lowered too much for your brew, ie sulphites etc. don't worry about being bang on, just try get it around-about the same amount

Buying bottled water, is like selling ice to the Eskimos. @ 5lt = £1. RO water is a lot cheaper, imho.
To Busy To Add,