Applying Water Treatment

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Applying Water Treatment

Post by MTW » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:44 pm

My first time treating my brewing water, other than fairly blind additions years ago of gypsum with extract brews and the continued use of a campden tablet. I've been producing good beer across several styles and shades, but I think I am getting a little more bitterness than the software predicts. This seems like the next area to probe!

I've done a Salifert test, which shows I have around 105 mg/l Alkalinity (0.62ml reading in the syringe). When I plug that and the numbers from my water report into Graham's Calculator and set it for a dry pale ale, I get this:

A few questions please:

1. My brewing water is never all in one vessel at the same time: I have 2x16L pots and a smaller 6L top-up pot, which act as my HLTs and kettle, fed to and from a coolbox tun. I can do 23L batches OK. How do I break the treatment up between the vessels and stages?

2. Do I still add a campden tablet and can the Whitelabs nutrient go in just as before?

3. Is CRS a suitable option with my water profile: I see some info regarding its limitations in the ratio of acids it brings.

TIA

[EDIT - please read 'water' as 'liquor' in the title #-o ]
Busy in the Summer House Brewery